2.5 when a stranger calls

***

Hermione's voice had a sharp edge as she read aloud from the newspaper article Alice Cooper had written

Hermione's voice had a sharp edge as she read aloud from the newspaper article Alice Cooper had written. "'This most recent incident confirms that the real threat is not the Black Hood, but the Southside and its corruptive forces.'"

She set the paper down with a look of irritation. "'Developer and ex-con Hiram Lodge boasts that his SoDale project will revitalize the forsaken neighborhood. But this reporter speculates that Hiram Lodge doesn't want to fix our problems, merely profit from them.'" Hermione's frustration was evident as she dropped the newspaper onto the desk.

"And right before our Open House. Thank you, Alice Cooper," Hiram remarked sarcastically, his tone dripping with disdain. "We can't let anything derail the project. Not Alice, not the Southside gangs, not some hooded psychopath."

"Okay, but right now, our biggest problem is capital. We're running out of it, and fast," Hermione informed him, her voice lowering as the gravity of the situation sank in.

"I've invited potential investors to the Open House. The St. Clairs are coming up from New York," Hiram revealed, his voice filled with a determined edge.

Veronica's face lit up with interest. "Wait. They are? Nicky included? I haven't seen Nicky in forever!"

Y/N, who had been absorbed in her phone, suddenly looked up. "And what about Nathan? Is he coming too?" Her tone shifted to one of interest as she leaned forward slightly.

Hiram exchanged a quick glance with Hermione before continuing, "Yeah. Nick's a budding music producer now," he said, then added with a knowing smile, "And Nathan? Well, he's making waves with his own music. Both of them have their father's ear. And their father is King Midas rich. We get them to invest, others will follow."

Hermione nodded, seizing on the moment. "You both wanted a seat at the table? Nick and Nathan have their father's ear. Help us close this deal. Show them all the good things Riverdale has to offer."

"With pleasure," Veronica agreed, a confident smile spreading across her face.

Y/N couldn't resist chiming in, her excitement palpable. "Oh, I'll make sure they see the best of Riverdale. They won't be able to resist investing here."

Hiram nodded approvingly at both his daughters. "That's what I like to hear. Let's make sure this Open House is something they'll never forget."

***

Veronica leaned back in her seat, casually explaining to Kevin as they all lounged in the student lounge. "Nick and I were the 'will they or won't they?' of our jet set. He's an outrageous flirt, but we never dated."