Chapter 13

They stared into each other's eyes, forgetting the world, until a knock on the door startled them, and they immediately let each other go.

Orion cleared his throat. He saw Lyra slowly opening the door. She was worried about Zara, so she wanted to make sure her sister was okay. On the other hand, Orion didn't seem to take the interruption lightly. He cursed under his breath.

"I was looking for you. Your husband was asking for you." She said, walking onto the balcony.

Orion wanted to rip the place to shreds, but he remained calm. "Excuse me," he said, walking away. He stood at the door and looked back at Zara while Lyra kept talking and talking. Sighing, he closed the door with a loud thud that jerked Lyra.

"What were you doing here? I mean, he seemed upset." Lyra was worried about Orion.

"He and I were catching up. You know, we went to the same university." Zara didn't know what else to say.

"Elijah had a bit more to drink, so you might have to stay the night here, or you can stay in the cabin with me." Lyra hoped they could talk like when they were little, but Zara seemed distant.

"Is everything okay?" Lyra's voice was etched with concern.

Zara smiled. "Why wouldn't it be?"

"You seem distant, unhappy even." Lyra noticed how uncomfortable and sad Zara looked since she came home.

It has been a while, Viv. It's been a long day, too. I am happy, I assure you," Zara promised. But was she truly happy? She didn't know. Was she uncomfortable? She wasn't sure. But one thing was certain: Orion was still pining over her, and she was ready to leave everything behind for him. Elope even. Her happiness was stolen, and she was determined to reclaim it, even if it meant losing her family.

She didn't care about her mom, dad, Orion's parents, or in-laws. They were the reason everyone was in this mess. She only cared about Lyra. But again, Lyra loved her so much that she would understand if she had told her sister the truth.

Lyra might or might not love Orion; they didn't even share a husband-and-wife bond. Orion already told her that he will and would be loyal to her. Orion and she have been through hell together. It was her rightful place to be with him. Besides, she will find someone for Lyra and plan to help her sister move on.

That is it. She smiled and hugged Lyra. "You worry too much about everything, Viv. You need to worry less."

Lyra shook her head, her voice filled with determination. "How can I not worry about you, Leigh? You're my sister, my blood. I would do anything for you." She spoke those words with conviction, not realizing that promises can become chains, binding tighter and tighter until they suffocate and drain your life.

Zara smiled sadly. "Do you ever wonder if being selfless is something that isn't meant for this world?"

Lyra furrowed her brows. "I don't understand."

"I just..." Zara inhaled deeply. "How can you be so selfless?" She asked, genuinely curious about how her little sister had grown into such an admirable woman.

"I'm not selfless, Leigh. I just like to keep people around me happy. I'm fond of smiling faces and happy lives." Lyra shrugged, her eyes reflecting a mix of sincerity and vulnerability.

Zara looked at her with admiration and sadness. "But don't you ever feel like it's too much? Like you're giving away pieces of yourself until there's nothing left?"

Lyra sighed, her gaze distant. "Sometimes. But I believe in the joy of giving, of seeing others happy. It makes the world slightly brighter, even if it dims my light." She had given her light to Orion since she married him, hoping he would shine brightly in it, but that light was burning her down.