Petals Rising

The final bell rang, a shrill sound that echoed through the halls of Hizuno High, signaling the end of another school day. Students flooded out of classrooms, chattering excitedly about their weekend plans. Akira moved through the crowd with a measured pace, his thoughts elsewhere. His body still ached from last night's battle, but he kept his expression neutral, not wanting to raise any suspicions.

Kai, with his ever-present soda bottle in hand, fell into step beside him. "Man, that math test was brutal. I barely scraped by. You probably aced it though, right?" he asked, nudging Akira with a grin.

Akira gave a half-hearted chuckle. "Yeah, something like that."

The numbers and equations had blurred together in his mind, overshadowed by more pressing concerns. As Kai rambled on about a new anime he wanted to watch, Akira felt the weight of the scroll in his bag like a leaden stone. The secrets it held-and the danger it attracted-were all-consuming. He hadn't had a moment to fully process what he'd uncovered last night, let alone decipher the cryptic map. What did it all mean? And who else was after it?

They exited the school building, stepping into the warm afternoon sun. Kai's voice became a distant hum as Akira's senses heightened. He subtly scanned the area, each passerby becoming a potential threat. The faces blurred together, but he scrutinized each one, looking for any sign that someone might be watching them.

His thoughts drifted back to the dojo. Were the assailants still there? Had they found anything else of use? The memory of bloodied bodies flashed in his mind, and a pang of guilt gnawed at him. He'd run away, left the dojo in their hands. Was it fear or something else that made him turn his back? He told himself he was too weak then, but what if that wasn't the whole truth?

"If they're still there, they're probably not alone," Akira mused to himself. His grip tightened on the strap of his bag. "I think I could take them this time."

Kai noticed his friend's silence and gave him a sideways glance. "Hey, you okay? You've been really quiet today."

Akira snapped back to the present and forced a smile. "Yeah, just tired, I guess. Didn't sleep much last night."

Kai nodded, apparently satisfied with the answer. "Well, don't push yourself too hard. You've got that scary look on your face again. Save it for the dojo."

Akira chuckled lightly, appreciating Kai's attempt at humor. But beneath the surface, his mind was racing. The scroll was now his responsibility. Whatever his grandfather had been protecting, it was something worth killing for. And if those men were still after it-or worse, if they had allies-he needed to be ready.

They reached a fork in the road where they usually parted ways. Kai gave him a mock salute. "Catch you later, Akira. Don't let the dojo ghosts keep you up."

"Yeah, see you," Akira replied, watching as Kai turned down the street and disappeared into the crowd.

Once alone, his smile faded. His hand instinctively reached for his bag, feeling the scroll through the fabric. He glanced around one last time before turning towards the narrow, winding path that would lead him back to the old district. His pace quickened, his senses sharpening.

The sun was setting, casting long shadows across the pavement. The city's neon lights would soon flicker to life, masking the darkness that lurked in every corner. Akira knew he needed to figure out the map in the scroll if he wanted to gain more power-power to stop running, power to stand and fight.

A faint, tingling sensation crept up his spine. He paused mid-step, scanning the street ahead. That's when he saw her.

"Hana Ashina," he whispered, almost to himself.