two

{season seven; episode five}
{from childhood's hour}

.....

Cass is sitting next to Spencer and Derek as Penelope was about to present the case as Dave walks in a bit late.

"Hey, I'm sorry I'm late. I got hung up with something. What do we got?" Dave asked, as Cass takes a bite out of her bagel as Penelope went to the local bakery down the street.

"A child abduction in St. Louis." Aaron says.

"Yeah. Bobby Smith, nine years old, vanished 48 hours ago from a residential area where his mother, Marlene Smith, claims to have dropped him off." Penelope says as Cass looks up at her.

"48 hours, and we're just learning about it now?" Cass asked Penelope.

"Yeah, that's because mom didn't know her son was gone. She assumed that he was with the grandmother and just left him there." Penelope says as Cass shakes her head.

"She definitely isn't winning mother of the year." Cass commented as JJ nods her head.

"What about the father?" Emily asked.

"He was convicted of embezzling from his workplace two years ago. Currently cooling his heels in state prison." Penelope says.

"If it's a stranger abduction, the first 24 hours is critical. This kid's already been missing twice that long." Spencer says.

"Which is why we shouldn't waste any more time. Let's go." Hotch says.

....

BAU Jet

Cass is sitting next to Spencer on the jet as they are on their way to St. Louis, Missouri. "Garcia, what have you got on the mother?" Aaron asked.

"Oh, I have so much on the mother, and try as I might, none of it is good. Marlene Smith has a history of erratic behavior, seriously clinically depressed, two suicide attempts in the last five years." Penelope says as Cass shakes her head.

"Was she being treated for depression?" Spencer asked.

"Oh my gosh, yes. Like more pill-popping than Elvis. Yes." Penelope says as Cass raised a brow.

"Depression is one of the few things that can overwhelm the maternal instinct." Cass says as JJ turns to her. "I read occassionally."

"What about the grandmother?" Emily asked.

"I don't have a bread crumb on her yet, but don't reach for you remote. I'll be back." Penelope says before she ends the call.

"Two suicide attempts. Why hasn't child services intervened?" Cass asked.

"Probably talked her way out of it." Dave says.

"Most social service organizations are overworked and underfunded. Things slip through the cracks." Emily says.

"If this boy's mother tried to commit suicide, and he's from a chronically unhappy household, maybe this wasn't an abduction at all. What if Bobby simply ran away?" Spencer theorizes.