Chapter 17

This chapter is a lot shorter than the previous one! But double update in one day!! I already had the other one written and was working on this one when I published it so I'm proud of myself for it!!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

The corridor was quiet as Lily and Remus patrolled the castle, the soft patter of their footsteps echoing off the stone walls. The tension between them had eased over the past few weeks, their patrols becoming a rare chance for quiet conversation amidst the turmoil of their daily lives.

Lily glanced sideways at Remus, noticing the shadow of fatigue under his eyes. He was always a bit subdued during their patrols, a fact she'd come to accept as part of his nature. But tonight, there was something more—an edge of strain that she couldn't quite place.

"Remus," Lily began hesitantly, breaking the silence. "I've been meaning to ask you something."

Remus raised an eyebrow, his expression cautious. "What is it?"

Lily took a deep breath, her fingers brushing against the edge of her cloak. "It's about you. I've been trying to piece things together for a while now."

Remus stiffened slightly. "What do you mean?"

"I've noticed certain things over the years," Lily continued, her voice steady but her eyes betraying her concern. "The way you act during the full moon, the way you seem to be unusually tired at certain times. It all started to add up."

Remus stopped walking, turning to face her with a mixture of apprehension and resignation. "Lily, if you've figured something out, I'd rather you just tell me directly."

Lily nodded, her gaze unwavering. "I think I know about your—condition. You're a werewolf, aren't you?"

The air between them seemed to crackle with unspoken emotions. Remus exhaled slowly, his shoulders slumping. "So, you figured it out."

"Yes," Lily said, her tone softening. "I started putting it together in our first year. By the end of it, I had a pretty good idea. But I didn't say anything because I didn't want to make things harder for you. And then, with everything that happened in second year, it made a lot more sense."

Remus looked at her with a mixture of surprise and relief. "You knew all this time?"

Lily nodded. "It became clearer when James and Sirius were researching Animagi. The way they spoke about transformations, and how much they seemed to know about the subject—it made me realize why you're so cautious and why you always seem to have those extra long breaks around the full moon."

Remus chuckled softly, though the sound was tinged with sadness. "I see. I didn't think you'd ever put it all together. But yes, you're right."

Lily studied him, her eyes filled with concern. "So, are they Animagi? I mean, if you're not, then it would explain a lot about their interest in it."

Remus shook his head, a wry smile crossing his face. "No, they aren't. They tried to become Animagi to help me, but the process was far more complicated and dangerous than they realized. And to be honest, they've never really succeeded. It's just... it was a way for them to try and support me in their own way."

Lily's eyes widened. "They didn't tell me that. Why not?"

"It's their secret to keep," Remus replied, a touch of melancholy in his voice. "They've done so much to protect me, and part of that is keeping their own endeavors under wraps. I suppose they thought it would be better if no one knew the full extent of their attempts. Especially since their attempts were not entirely successful."

Lily nodded slowly, absorbing the new information. "I'm sorry, Remus. I should have said something sooner. But I want you to know that I'm here for you. Whatever you need, whatever help you require."

Remus looked at her, gratitude and relief evident in his eyes. "Thank you, Lily. That means more to me than you know."

There was a moment of silence between them, the weight of the revelation settling in. Lily reached out, placing a reassuring hand on Remus's shoulder.

"I know it must be hard to deal with," she said gently. "But we'll figure it out together. And if there's anything I can do, you just need to tell me."

Remus nodded, his expression softening. "I appreciate that. It's not something I've talked about much, but it helps to know that someone understands."

As they continued their patrol, the atmosphere between them felt lighter. The burden of the secret was no longer a heavy weight between them, and Lily's support provided a glimmer of hope amidst the darkness that often clouded Remus's life. Together, they walked the corridors of Hogwarts, their steps echoing with a newfound sense of understanding and camaraderie.

The night passed quietly, and as they reached the end of their patrol, Lily offered a reassuring smile. "Let's get some rest. Tomorrow's another day, and we'll face it together."

Remus smiled back, feeling a renewed sense of hope. For the first time in a long while, he felt like he wasn't facing his struggles alone. And that, more than anything, gave him the strength to face whatever challenges lay ahead.