Chapter 1 - Prologue

The sun's resplendent rays bathed Rigarden Magic Academy, casting a brilliant glow that danced upon the polished stone floors of the corridors. Yet, despite the radiant warmth within, a palpable melancholy hung heavy in the air. The stark contrast was almost poetic; the brightness of day seemed to mock the somber atmosphere that clung to the walls like a shroud. The cause of this ironic juxtaposition? A parting- a farewell.

Will Serfort stood in silence, his sturdy frame silhouetted against the sunlit stone floor. His eyes were locked onto the girl before him, his expression a heart-wrenching mix of sadness and disbelief. The corners were turned down in a way that conveyed his devastation, a silent echo of the turmoil within him. His hands hung loosely at his sides, unsure of what to do, how to say goodbye to the person that had been his world, his family, his home.

The girl, Elfaria Serfort, turned around, her aqua hair and academy robe caught in the gentle breeze, billowing softly around her. She met Will's gaze, her eyes shimmering with unshed tears, and offered him a bittersweet smile. "I know, you know? Will, you are kind, and you're braver than anyone else," she said, her voice steady despite the emotion that threatened to overwhelm her. She raised her hands, revealing a pair of goggles nestled in her palms.

Silently, Will accepted the goggles, his fingers brushing against hers in a fleeting, tender touch. Elfaria lowered her hands, her smile fading as she turned away. "Now then...farewell," she whispered, her voice barely audible as she began to walk away, each step measured and slow, as if she were fighting the urge to turn back and run into his arms.

Will clutched the goggles to his chest, his knuckles turning white as he gripped them tightly. In a burst of emotion, he shouted after Elfaria, his voice echoing through the corridor, "Elfie! I will make it to the tower too! Even if I can't use magic! Even if everything tries to tear us apart! I'll come for you, no matter what!" His voice cracked with determination, lowering to a fervent whisper as he continued, "Just like I promised..." He paused, then added, his voice filled with longing, "Let's go see the sunset together!"

Elfaria stopped in her tracks, her shoulders trembling slightly as his words reached her. She turned around slowly, her eyes glistening with tears that threatened to spill over. A soft smile played on her lips as she looked at him, her voice steady despite the emotion that clung to each word. "Okay. It's a promise," she said, her gaze locked onto his. "I'll be waiting, as long as it takes!"

The scene shifted, and Elfaria stood at the base of the steps leading up to the tower. Will, and their teacher, Workner Norgram, were there to bid her farewell. Will watched her silently, his eyes never leaving her retreating figure, his heart aching with each step she took away from him.

As Elfaria disappeared into the tower, Workner turned to Will, his voice gentle yet firm. "Will..." he began, but the boy couldn't hold back any longer. Tears spilled down Will's cheeks, his shoulders shaking with suppressed sobs. "Professor...being pathetic and crying like this," he choked out, his voice laced with grief. He looked up at Workner, a fire stirring within him, "This'll be the last time."

"