The Athlete (2)

Days turned into weeks, and the group of friends quickly settled into a routine. They spent their breaks and lunches together, sharing stories, jokes, and the occasional gossip. After class, they often hung out at their favorite café or took walks around the campus. Despite Chaeyoung’s quiet nature, she gradually warmed up to the others, becoming an integral part of their circle.

One afternoon, the group was sitting under their favorite tree, enjoying the gentle breeze. Chaeyoung, as usual, had her nose buried in a manhwa, while the others chatted about their day. Momo, who had been watching Chaeyoung for a while, suddenly turned to Dahyun with a curious expression.

“Dubu, can I ask you something?” Momo began, glancing at Chaeyoung before continuing. “I’ve noticed that I never see Chaeyoung study. Like, ever. She’s always reading manhwas instead.”

Mina, who had been quietly reading a book, perked up at this and subtly leaned in to listen, curious about Dahyun’s response.

Dahyun laughed, glancing at Chaeyoung, who didn’t seem to notice the conversation around her. “Yeah, Chaeyoung’s definitely not a fan of studying. She’s actually the complete opposite of Mina,” she said, playfully nudging Mina with her elbow.

Mina smiled but remained silent, still listening intently.

Momo tilted her head, puzzled. “But if she hates studying so much, why is she even going to university?”

At this, Chaeyoung paused her reading, sensing the conversation had shifted towards her. But she didn’t look up, waiting to see what Dahyun would say.

Dahyun’s smile faded a little as she glanced at Chaeyoung, then back at Momo and Mina. “Well, there’s a reason for that. Chaeyoung’s here because she can’t compete in the Olympics this year.”

Mina’s interest deepened. “Why not?” she asked gently, her eyes reflecting genuine concern.

Dahyun hesitated for a moment, but then she spoke softly, knowing it was something Chaeyoung had already come to terms with. “Chaeyoung has a leg injury. It’s been bothering her for a while, and the doctors said it’s too risky for her to compete. So, she decided to come back to school instead.”

Momo’s eyes widened in surprise. “I had no idea… That must be really tough.”

Chaeyoung finally looked up from her manhwa, her expression unreadable. “It is what it is,” she said quietly, her tone calm but with a hint of resignation.

Mina felt a pang in her chest as she realized the weight Chaeyoung must have been carrying. “That must have been a hard decision to make,” she said, her voice soft and understanding.

Chaeyoung nodded slightly. “It was. But I’m trying to make the best of it. I’ve always loved manhwas, so I guess it’s my way of coping.”

The group fell into a brief silence, each of them processing what Dahyun had shared. Mina, in particular, found herself feeling a deep sense of empathy for Chaeyoung. She had always been driven by her academic pursuits, pushing herself to be the best, but she realized that Chaeyoung’s path had been entirely different.

“So, you’re here to take it easy and find a new rhythm,” Mina said, breaking the silence. “That’s understandable.”

Chaeyoung met Mina’s gaze, and for a moment, there was an unspoken connection between them—an understanding that went beyond words. “Yeah,” Chaeyoung replied simply. “Something like that.”

Dahyun, sensing the heavy mood, quickly tried to lighten the atmosphere. “But hey, Chaeyoung’s still amazing at everything she does, even if she doesn’t study much. I mean, she’s literally a gold medalist!”