4

That next day, after driving home from Axl's house (Sharon told her mother that she was spending the night with a friend who had actually been out of the state), Sharon tiptoed through the house, checking each room in search of her dearest mother.

She made it to the second floor, hearing the clanking sounds of the washing machine and her mother humming one of her own band's songs, tapping her foot rhythmically on the loud, tile floors. The door was open to the laundry room but the light was dim.

Sharon could see the outline of the back of her head, having not noticed her daughter staring her down from across the hall. She bounded across the rug, coming into the laundry room at a fast pace and slamming the door behind, startling Lita and laughing at how loud it was.

"Sorry," Sharon said, rubbing the white painted door like it was about to fall off its hinges, seething a bit when Lita looked at her, angered.

"What do you need, Shay?" Lita asked, eyeing her heaving figure as she now swiped away hair and placed it behind her ear. She paused her humming, shutting the heavy metal door to the dryer and pushing away a basket of towels. She placed her battered hands on her hips, confused as to why Sharon was blocking the door.

"Uh...I just wanted to talk," Sharon piqued up, shifting the door handle in her hand and playing with the lock.

"Can we do this somewhere else? I have stuff I have to get done."

"It'll be quick," Sharon replied, almost faster than her words may have suggested. She stayed in front of the door, even when Lita tried moving her out of the way. "Here," she had to say, looking down and away in order to vocalize what she'd been thinking about since the day before.

Lita nodded, putting her basket of towels away and out of her throbbing arms, waiting for Sharon to speak. "Last week I made the decision to find whatever I could about my dad," she started. "And that led me to him. I met him, and we talked, and it was great, and I didn't realize until then how deprived I was of him that I didn't want it to end!"

Lita's face went slack as she listened, a slight fear crawling up her back.

"And I want to see him again – that's where I was yesterday." Lita reamed at Sharon for lying to her, but eventually gave that portion of her speech up and focused on what Sharon really wanted. She nodded her head, understanding what it was Sharon Rose needed in her life, but still tearing up and knowing what she was going to say.

Lita looked away, unable to face her. Sharon was downcast, unable to speak without her lips trembling in sadness and her tears pricking, ready to flow blood down her cheeks in pain. She huffed, incapable of distinguishing whether Lita's emotions were positive or negative, but unnerved by them either way.

She tried to push through the way to the door, insufficient in getting out of the room or possessing the urge to stop her crying eyes. Lita coveted something denied to her own daughter, which Sharon would think over for hours.

"He still loves you," Sharon blurted out, trying to reach out to her mother and wrap the shorter woman in her arms. It was obvious she was panicked and overwhelmed after so many years without his name being spoken, her father.

"He does?" she whispered, unable to fathom it.

Sharon nodded apprehensively, searching Lita's face for when she could continue her speech. She hesitated. "And he understands" – her lip quivered – "that it was best, what you did. A-and, Dad wants this in the past as much as I do...if you'll allow me."

"You both want this?"

"Very much," Sharon smiled, finally able to embrace her mother, whispering, "And I forgive you for keeping Dad out of my life. You thought it was best at the time, even if it affected me negatively and whatnot."

Lita sniffled. "Now we can finally put this all behind us. Oh, Mom, you've gotta' see him. Better than any story you could've imagined. He's changed so much from what you've told me, all those years ago," Sharon said.

Lita stepped back, shaking her head in denial. "I can't believe it," and she palmed her forehead. Then she breathed in heavily before stifling out another sob and holding her hands to her mouth. "Sharon, you shouldn't see me like this!" She looked away.

Lita mumbled out faintly, "Sometimes I picture how my life might've been, if it hadn't been for what happened, what I've done." A final tear rolled down her bright red cheek and she rubbed at her nose.

"I want you to know that I love your father," she heaved out, the shadow from the lights in the laundry room dimming her face. "You need to hear it – because I do, and I haven't stopped, not under any circumstance – I'd never be able to stop myself.

"He is a wonderful man, he was good for me – and he's been good to you – and I never deserved him!" Lita sobbed, finally able to get to the door handle and opening it quickly.

She rushed out the door, flinging the streams of tears from her face as she turned back and said, "I love him, Sharon, I really do!" before turning and walking back down the wall, away from Sharon would still stood in the door, in her earlier blocking position.

She followed after Lita, reaching out while her mother kept trying to push her away. Lita had spoken her words as if they were with her last dying breath, the one thing she needed to say to the world before she never uttered a word again. It was painful, but it was also the truth.

"You've gotta' see him, Mom. We all have to get together. Please!" Sharon begged, leaning into Lita's shoulder once they finally sat down on her bed, where Lita had run off to. She was shaking her head; Sharon wasn't sure if she was crying anymore or just saying no.

"I just want two parents in my life again," she pleaded.

Lita looked over, stunned at Sharon's words and manipulations. How could she say no to her only child after taking away what now seemed to be the only other good thing in her life. Lita couldn't forgive herself. Out of inward fear and outward love, she hesitated to nod her head, if only to please her daughter.

A/n: sorry for any typos ❤️