CHAPTER 5: I dare you

"You're late!"

Yuji and I were met by a loud voice that carried a tone of mock annoyance calling out to us from the kitchen area. My heart skipped a beat, and I glanced at Yuji with a mix of curiosity and apprehension, but he just rolled his eyes with a sheepish grin, before we headed toward the kitchen area where the voice came from.

Standing at the counter, preparing snacks, were two people.

A heavy stone immediately lifted from my stomach when I saw that Gojo was not there. I quickly recognized Fushiguro, though, by his black and slightly tousled hair, and beside him stood a girl who I later realized was Kugisaki.

They both looked up from the snacks spread over the table, Kugisaki's expression softening into a smile as she saw us. Despite her earlier reprimand, there was a warm, welcoming quality to her demeanor.

Her hair was a rich, chestnut brown, styled into a sharp bob that framed her face with a playful yet sophisticated edge. Her eyes were a striking amber, expressive and full of energy, reflecting both her fierce determination and a mischievous spark.

I immediately felt drawn to the way she carried herself with a blend of confidence and assertiveness, and she greeted us with a smile before making a slightly inappropriate joke about why she thought we were late.

"Right, Fushiguro?" she joked teasingly, her eyes sparkling with mischief as she poked an elbow into his ribs while she wiggled her eyebrows suggestively at Yuji.

Fushiguro rolled his eyes at her but could not suppress a snicker, clearly accustomed to Kugisaki's antics. It was a brief, almost imperceptible sound, and I was still processing the playful exchange when I glanced over at him.

The instant our eyes met, something unexpected happened.

Fushiguro's eyes widened slightly, while his face turned a deep shade of red, the color spreading quickly across his cheeks. The change was so abrupt that it took me by surprise, and I heard myself breathe out lamely when his dark blue eyes darted nervously away.

How strange...

I remembered him as having such a calm and composed, almost stoic demeanor the last time I saw him, well at least until he got really drunk, so I could not help but wonder why he was reacting like this.

It made me curious.

Yuji laughed next to me before grabbing my hand, leading me over to the kitchen counter. He shot her a playful and exaggeratedly innocent look, saying: "Oh, come one, Kugisaki. You're just jealous!"

He winked at her, clearly enjoying the moment.

I caught Kugisaki's gaze, and the playful glint in her eyes softened a little while she seemed to ignore Yuji's remark.

"Nice to finally meet you," she smiled at me. "Ichimura, right?"

I returned her smile, nodding my head at her. "Yeah. And you're Kugisaki, right?"

"Aw!" she exclaimed excitedly with a wide grin, turning towards Yuji to give him a playful slap on his shoulder. "She knows who I am? That means you must like me, Itadori!"

The playful banter between Yuji and Kugisaki continued, filling the room with a light-hearted energy that made me feel increasingly at ease. Their friendly back-and-forth was filled with teasing remarks and shared laughter, creating an atmosphere of camaraderie and warmth.

As the laughter finally settled and we had caught up with each other, all four of us shuffled into Kugisaki's room, which was cozy and inviting, with futons spread out beneath her bed and a flickering screen ready for the movie we were about to watch.