Chapter 2 | Sour Milk

Author's Note: Set in 2007, this chapter occurs before Susan is promoted to the rank of Captain. At the time of this chapter, both Sal and Susan are detectives (Detective III) in a supervisory capacity at different precincts within LA.

I want to be clear—I do not think of Mia as a villain nor do I intend to portray her as one. I think her feelings for Sal are genuine and she's got her reasons for that (which we'll explore in later chapters).

Thanks for all your support!

-X-

April | 2007

Detective Daniel Salinger groaned and rolled onto his back. He was surprised to find the other half of his bed empty.

Sal glanced at the digital alarm clock on the nightstand.

06:18.

Sal's alarm was set to go off in another twelve minutes—far too soon to try and enjoy a few more minutes of sleep.

Sal hauled himself out of bed and made a beeline for the toilet. After relieving himself, he slipped on a pair of flannel pyjama trousers and meandered downstairs to start the day.

Sal was barely down the stairs when he heard the front door open.

"You're home late," he remarked.

Susan looked exhausted. She dropped her purse on the table and collapsed into the chair near the window.

"Something happen?" Sal inquired.

Susan shrugged.

"Rough shift. You know how it is," she replied.

In truth, Susan didn't much want to talk about it. She tried to keep her home free from the harsh reality of her day job. Or (as had been the case lately) her night job.

Sal opened the cupboard. He spooned the coffee grounds into the drip maker and flipped it on. It began to bubble a few seconds later. Soon the smell of fresh coffee filled the kitchen air.

"How many more nights do you think you can keep this up?" Sal asked.

"I don't know. He's good. He's really good. And I don't think the budget is prepared to keep this investigation going indefinitely," Susan answered.

Before they could discuss the matter further, there was the sound of footfalls on the stairs.

Sal and Susan clammed up as their daughter, Kimmy, came around the corner.

"Good morning, honey," Sal said.

"Morning, sweetheart," Susan said.

Kimmy yawned and stretched.

"Can I go to Brianna's tonight after school?" Kimmy asked as she rummaged through the pantry.

She shook out a bowlful of cereal and then reached into the fridge.

As their daughter helped herself to breakfast, a look passed between Susan and her husband.

"Not tonight, okay?" Susan responded.

"Why?"

At twelve, it was Kimmy's favourite question.

"Well, we haven't had a chance to meet Brianna's parents yet. Where does she live?" Susan asked.

Kimmy shrugged.

"I dunno. She said her mum would pick us up after school."

Kimmy pulled the cap off the milk and sniffed the contents.