Mama

Carol had her head between her legs. Her arms hung on either side of her body while she led out steady breaths. The toilet seat cooled her thighs. She gave herself a few more breaths before she was to force herself up. Maybe the cleaning chemicals affected her lungs. Maybe it was the heat. Maybe it was her nerves. All Carol knew is that she couldn't lift her body from the slouched position.

The bathroom wasn't always her comfort place. She found herself seeking its isolation when her nerves were acting up. No one dared to question her about what she was doing. She had a place to sit and to fix herself up after. Carol also had a small window that looked out into the backyard. Nature eased her soul. There are so many critters to admire and to observe their lives. She did not feel the surveillance of her family from her beloved bathroom. It did not rush her out, she could let her body be limp and not fear being stepped on.

Carol gave herself a few more breaths before she would get up. She finished her cleaning so this was her reward. No, not a reward, that sounded pathetic. This was her break before she began the next obstacle. Her day was broken up into tasks that felt difficult although her routine never changed. The dishes she washed endlessly did not make her a master. With most skills, repetition smoothes over mistakes and provides speed. And yet, Carol did not quicken her pace. Her hands did not move fast enough for that to happen. She was thin and in good health.

The problem was what lies after.

The first time that Carol found herself with time, she just stood there. There was nothing for her to do. Angie was playing in her room. Turner was in the garage doing whatever he does. With her mind blank, a pain formed in her chest. She didn't know what to do with herself. It didn't cross her mind that she could do what she wanted in that moment. But she spent it away by standing alone until she was needed by someone else or something else.

In the distance, the kitchen phone was ringing. Carol's head shot up and she emerged from her trance state.