CHAPTER TWENTY ONE

We stood atop the palace's highest balcony, the grandeur of the gardens below unfolding before us like a canvas of emerald and gold. Lukan leaned against the ornate iron railing, his gaze fixed intently on me as the warm sunlight danced across his features. I stood beside him, my hands grasping the cool metal as I gazed out at the breathtaking vista, the gentle breeze rustling my hair.

"Do you know him?" Lukan inquired, his voice low, refering to the masked guy who challenged.

"The guy in the mask? No, I don't," I replied. Lukan's eyes narrowed.

"But he was in the very robe and mask I crafted for..." My voice trailed off, and I sensed he was awaiting my elaboration, his gaze piercing and expectant.

I hesitated, unsure how much to reveal, my mind racing with the implications. But something about Lukan's intense gaze compelled me to be candid, to confront the truth head-on.

"He wore the robe I created for..." I began, but caught myself, opting to remain silent. The words hung on my lips, unspoken, as I wrestled with the emotions swirling within me.

"Who?" Lukan pressed, his tone laced with curiosity and a hint of suspicion.

I met his gaze with boldness, my heart pounding in my chest.

"Flow," I replied, my voice steady and resolute. The name hung in the air like a challenge, and I could sense the tension between us building.

Lukan's countenance darkened, his jaw clenched in a mixture of surprise, envy, and possessiveness.

"You harbor feelings for him?" he asked, his voice tinged with accusation and a hint of jealousy.

I nodded, maintaining eye contact, my heart racing with anticipation.

"Yes, I do." My words hung in the air, a declaration of truth, and Lukan's reaction was immediate. He clenched his teeth, his eyes flashing with a fierce emotion that made my heart skip a beat. The air seemed to vibrate with tension as we stood there, the only sound the distant rustling of leaves and the heavy silence between us.

His voice was laced with resentment as he spoke, his eyes flashing with a mix of anger and hurt.

"You've forgotten that I've been by your side before he came into the picture, and moreover, he was announced as a mediocre when he arrived." His words hung in the air, a reminder of the past.

I took a deep breath, trying to choose my words carefully, wrapping my arms around his neck, my lips close to his.

"Lukan, I value our friendship, but I can't marry you." I said, my voice gentle but firm.

Lukan's face contorted in frustration, his jaw clenched.

"We've been friends since childhood, remember? We've shared countless memories together." He pleaded, his eyes searching for a glimmer of hope.

I nodded sympathetically. "I know, Lukan, and I cherish those memories. But..." I said, trying to soften the blow.

Just then, Vanessa and Hazel walked into the room, I quickly withdrew my arms, cos Vanessa will be so sick to see us in that condition.
Their presence a welcome distraction from the tension. Vanessa looked straight into my eyes, I could read from it that she already caught me, and also displeased. She looks radiant, her health and vitality restored. I quickly walked towards her, pretending nothing had happened. "Hey, how are you?" I asked, embracing her warmly.

"I'm good, thanks to Hazel," Vanessa replied, smiling at her savior, also pretending nothing had transpired.

"She took me to her father, and he saved me from the poison of the Vrykolakas arrow."