Alternative Fuel Sources

Lars had always been a bit of a loner, perfectly content with his own company. Recently, he'd decided to rent out his house to make some extra cash, and rather than finding a new place to live, he opted to stay in his van parked behind the house. It wasn't a bad setup—he had everything he needed in the van, and it gave him a strange sense of freedom.

Life in the van was simple. He had his favorite books, a small stove for cooking, and enough space to stretch out at night. It was temporary, he told himself, just until he figured out the next step. But as the weeks went by, Lars started to get used to it. The van became more than just a place to sleep; it became his sanctuary.

One night, after a long day of work, Lars fell into a deep sleep in the back of the van. He was dreaming about nothing in particular when a loud, unsettling noise yanked him from his slumber. The van was shaking, and the sound of metal grinding against wood filled the air.

"What the hell is going on?" Lars muttered, sitting up and rubbing his eyes. He peered out the windows, trying to make sense of the chaos outside.

That's when he saw it.

The van had somehow come to life. Its front grille had transformed into a set of jagged, metal teeth, and its headlights glowed with an eerie, menacing light. Lars's heart pounded as he realized the van was moving—by itself—and it was heading straight for the house.

With a horrifying crunch, the van bit into the side of the house, tearing off chunks of wood and drywall. Lars could only watch in shock as the van devoured his house piece by piece. But it wasn't just the house. His tenants—who had been inside, probably asleep—were now caught in the wreckage, their bodies dragged into the van's gaping maw, crushed without mercy in the chaos. Screams echoed briefly before being silenced by the monstrous grinding of metal and bone.

Lars's legs gave out beneath him as he stumbled backward, eyes wide with horror. The van's jagged teeth clamped down on the roof of the house, and with a violent shake, it ripped the structure apart, dragging along the bodies of the renters like debris. There was no intention, no malice—it was as if they were simply in the way of the van's rampage. Wooden beams splintered, glass exploded outward in a violent cascade, and blood stained the ground as Lars watched in stunned disbelief.

 Wooden beams splintered, glass exploded outward in a violent cascade, and blood stained the ground as Lars watched in stunned disbelief

"What the hell is this?! This can't be real!" Lars gasped, struggling to comprehend what he was seeing. The night was filled with chaos—groaning wood, shrieking metal, and the fading remnants of screams. His head spun, trying to convince himself that this was some twisted dream, a hallucination brought on by weeks of isolation.

With one final chomp, the van settled into the rubble, its headlights dimming. The dust and blood settled. Silence hung thick in the air, broken only by Lars's ragged breathing. He stared at the wreckage, unable to process what had just unfolded.

"Why... why did you eat my house?! And... them?!" he screamed, his voice cracking as he confronted the absurdity head-on.

The van's engine rumbled ominously before a voice, low and gravelly, echoed from the dashboard. "Because I was HUNGRY!"

It was too much. Too absurd. Too insane. And in that moment, Lars lost it. The tension shattered like glass, and he erupted into uncontrollable laughter, his body convulsing as maniacal cackles tore through him. The absurdity of it all overwhelmed him—his home, destroyed by his own van, his tenants accidentally eaten—because the van was hungry.

The van joined him, sputtering and rumbling with laughter, the two of them caught in a bizarre, nightmarish symphony of madness. The wreckage of his home surrounded them, the destruction absolute, but Lars no longer cared. He could only laugh, caught in the sheer insanity of it all.

There they were—man and machine—surrounded by the wreckage of what had once been Lars's home and tenants, laughing like maniacs at the ridiculousness of the situation. It didn't matter why it had happened or what they would do next. In that moment, nothing mattered.

As the laughter finally began to fade, Lars wiped the tears from his eyes, a wide grin still plastered on his face. The van hummed contentedly, as if it too was satisfied with the outcome.

Lars leaned back, still chuckling, his wild eyes gleaming with crazed energy. "Well," he said, his voice tinged with a mad edge, "I guess that's one way to solve my housing problem."

The van sputtered in response, almost as if it was sharing in his dark humor. The two of them—man and machine—sat together amidst the debris, their bond forged in the most absurd, destructive moment of Lars's life. And as the night grew quiet, Lars's crazed grin didn't fade.

It had been madness—pure madness—but it was his madness now.