Chapter nineteen

Viransh finished his hunt with one last deer remaining. Aarushi watched him with a determined expression, and he sighed, knowing she wouldn't let up unless she had a chance to shoot. Reluctantly, he handed her the bow and stepped back. Aarushi looked at him with uncertainty and said softly, "I don't know how to shoot with this."

Viransh's lips curled into a smirk.

"What else would I expect from you?" Viransh said with a hint of sarcasm, and Aarushi shot him a sharp look. He gestured for her to lift the bow, then moved behind her. As he positioned her hands on the bow and the other on the arrow-her back pressed against his chest, their bodies so close that Aarushi's heart pounded at the contact. Despite her racing pulse, she remained intensely focused on the target.

Viransh watched her with a mix of amusement and concentration. Her absorbed expression brought her face close enough to his shoulder for him to see the slight frown of concentration.

Viransh remained still, so Aarushi turned to look at him, catching his intense gaze. Her cheeks flushed with a mix of excitement and nervousness. In time Viransh released the arrow. When she saw the arrow hit the target dead centre, her face lit up with a broad, joyful smile.

"Viransh, look! I did it! Right on target!" Aarushi exclaimed, her voice bubbling with elation as she jumped up and down. Viransh watched her with a bemused frown, his emotions hidden behind a stern expression.

"It’s my first hunt," Aarushi said, barely containing her excitement. "I can’t believe it! Does this mean I’m a princess now?" Without waiting for a response, she threw her arms around Viransh in a spontaneous hug. Viransh stood rigid, his body unyielding, but his eyes softened as he observed her happiness. A faint smile appeared on his lips as he watched her bounce with delight.

After the hunt, with the deer already taken away by the soldiers, only Viransh and Aarushi remained in the darkening forest. The tension from their earlier argument hung heavily between them. As they walked side by side, Aarushi’s frustration was evident; she brushed against him with a hint of defiance, her steps deliberately heavy. Viransh, unfazed by her silent hostility, maintained a stoic expression and kept his focus ahead, barely acknowledging her presence. The silence between them was charged, each step echoing their unresolved conflict.

"Aarushi, can’t you walk properly? Why do you keep stumbling on?" Viransh said irritably as she nearly collided with a tree. Aarushi shot him an annoyed glare.

"I apologize," Aarushi said, turning her gaze away. Viransh clenched his fists.

"You always know how to apologize but never learn any discipline," he said sharply. "You act like you don't belong here."

Aarushi's anger flared at his cold rebuke.

"Why are you still scolding me even after I’ve apologized?" Aarushi shot back, her voice tinged with anger. Viransh tightened his grip into fists.

"I don’t know when you’re going to learn discipline and show some respect," he said coldly, his tone harsh and almost confrontational. "An apology isn’t always enough to cover up your mistakes."

Aarushi’s anger flared even more at his biting words.

"You know what? I’m not coming with you. Just go alone-I'm tired of being scolded all the way," Aarushi snapped, her frustration evident.

"Don’t argue. Let’s go," Viransh replied coldly, ignoring her irritation.

"I said I’m not coming. I’ll go on my own," Aarushi insisted, her anger flashing as she glared at him.

"I don’t want to take you with me either, but it’s my duty to ensure you get back safely. Otherwise, I would have left you here," Viransh said coldly. Aarushi shot him a fierce glare.

"You belong here more rather than in the palace," he continued, his tone sharp. Aarushi looked at him with disbelief.

"I’m not coming with you, and you know what? You fit in here better than those lives which live here" Aarushi shot back, matching his tone. Viransh’s anger flared.

"Aarushi, stop arguing. Let’s go," Viransh said, forcing himself to stay calm.

"I am definitely not coming with you," Aarushi insisted, meeting his gaze.

Viransh stared at her for a moment, then smirked.

"Your wish," he said coldly, turning and walking away, his anger evident in each step. He hated being defied and resented when someone challenged his authority.

Viransh returned first, greeted with smiles from Abhinand and Aavyan. Atharvi rose from her seat, and they waited together, anticipation hanging in the air. A few minutes later, Adivansh arrived with Ayathi beside him. Abhinand and Aavyan exchanged puzzled looks, noticing that Adivansh was empty-handed-unusual for someone who always came back victorious.

Adivansh stood silently, his demeanor drawing curious frowns from Abhinand and Viransh. Viransh, in particular, was taken aback; it was rare for his brother not to bring result of his victory.

"Adivansh Bhai,  you returning with an empty-handed?" Aavyan asked, disbelief in his voice. Adivansh merely sighed in response.

The group fell into a stunned silence, their eyes shifting between one another, struggling to understand the unusual turn of events.

Adivansh said coldly, "We can’t expect every chance to have the same result." He reflected, struggling with the thought of hunting after Ayathi made him understand the harm it would cause. What truly stopped him was seeing them up close and recognizing their innocence. He couldn’t bring himself to harm those who were so guiltless.

Abhinand and Aavyan stood in stunned silence, their confusion palpable. Viransh, too, was grappling with a shock so profound it felt like a thunderclap echoing through his mind.

"So, Adivansh Bhai didn’t win this time?"Aavyan asked, his disbelief evident as he looked at his brother. Adivansh stood there, his demeanor as detached as ever. Aavyan was accustomed to seeing Adivansh dominate every hunt, leaving nothing untouched in the wild. To see him return with empty hands, having failed to bring down even a single prey, was almost unthinkable. It was a stark departure from the brother who had once hunted the forest with ruthless efficiency, leaving Aavyan to wrestle with the jarring reality of this unexpected outcome.

"It might not be the victory we expected, but we’ve still won," Ayathi said softly. Her words drew frowns of confusion from everyone, including Adivansh.

Then Ayathi pointed to the side, and everyone fell silent in astonishment. A group of deer stood nearby, watching them peacefully. The sight was unexpected and serene.

Adivansh’s frown slowly softened into a faint smile as he observed the scene. He looked at Ayathi, who was smiling warmly at the deer. He realized that her presence had the power to transform situations and perceptions into beautiful sight of gentleness.

"We don’t have to harm lives to prove our skill," Ayathi continued in a gentle tone. "This is another way of hunting without causing harm. I believe we’ve still won today."

Abhinand’s expression softened, and he nodded in agreement, a warm smile spreading across his face.

"It’s still a win,  We showed those deer a that's there another way of hunt," Ayathi said softly, looking at Abhinand.

"That’s not how a hunt is supposed to go," Viransh countered, attempting to undermine her. His comment drew disapproving glares from both Abhinand and Adivansh, and he looked at them with raised eyebrows.

Abhinand gave Ayathi an approving nod, and she responded with a relieved smile. Atharvi offered a warm smile in support as well.

"So, Adivansh Bhai wins again," Aavyan said with a grin. Viransh’s irritation was palpable, while Adivansh’s smirk widened in response.

"It’s time to head back; it’s getting late," Abhinand said firmly as the darkness began to settle. They all agreed and began to leave. Engrossed in their own world, they forgot about Aarushi, who left behind as they walked, laughing at Aavyan’s jokes and occasionally Aavyan receiving Viransh’s sharp glares.