Fatherly Interrogation

Saturday was the day when Bella can officially meet Edward’s parents. I think it wasn't a secret that both sides of the party waited for this day in excited nervousness. Yesterday evening I had a long phone call with Esme about Saturday’s lunch. She will make something Italian since I told Alice that would be good but still she had some worries. She asked approximately a hundred questions about my step-sister’s health. Is there anything she can't eat? Is she allergic to something? Human life is so fragile after all. She didn't want to make any mistakes.

I understood where she was coming from and I really tried to help her out as much as I could. But my sister needed my assistance too. I was at the famous Cullen house already so I could serve her with some inside information. I tried to reassure her that she didn't have to try so hard and she would be fine either way. Of course she couldn't be calmed with that so I ended up advising two parties secretly from each other at the same time.

On that fateful day we woke extremely early so we would have enough time to get ready. Although I wouldn't say I was fully awake. I layed in my sister's bed while she was searching in her closet. My legs were on her pillow and I rolled her blanket under my head. This way I could steal a few seconds of rest while I judged her choice of clothing.

“What do you think about this?” Bella showed me a white blouse.

“It’s nice…ahhh… elegant.” I yawned.

She observed the piece of clothing in her hands for a second.

“Wouldn't it be bad if it’s too elegant? What if they think I am too materialistic?” Bella bit her lips nervously.

“Only you could say something stupid like this.” I rested my head back on the bed.

“It’s not stupid. First impressions are very important. Especially when it comes to the parents of your boyfriend.” Bella turned to me.

“Well… It won't be a first impression. You already met with Carlisle at the hospital. He already formed an opinion about you.” I reminded her. Her eyes widened in recognition.

“Oooh no. That’s bad.” She crumpled the blouse in her hands.

“Why do you always have to think of the worst case scenario? It never crossed your mind that they might like you?” I glanced up at her anxious expression.

“You don't understand. Edward is so perfect. The way he dresses, his speech. Those beautiful topas eyes, his marble like face. He is like a fallen angel. Completely out of this world. What if they find me unfitting as his girlfriend? How can I stand besides him at all? After all, I am just ordinary.” She wined.

“You talk bullshit again.” I pushed myself up into a sitting position. “ You two are completely different races. Vampires are designed to be an alluring and unbeatable predator. They are immortal with all of the time in their hands. Their every action is refined and well practiced. You can't possibly compare yourself to them. You are human. Humans are bound to be flawed. And that is perfectly fine.” I stared at her firmly.

My words bounced off her as she made a sour face.

“You don't seem to be flawed next to them.” She pouted.

“How am I related to this?” I raised an eyebrow.

“You know… I saw how they accepted you. Which is perfectly fine.” She rushed to add. “But the way you walk beside them is so natural. Like you are one of them. Of course I am not saying that you are like a vampire because you are different… But you look so strong next to them… Like you too have an inner strength like they have… I don't have that… I am just… me.” She told this with a saddened glint in her eyes.