Chapter Two - A spoiled princess, yet...

"Nonsense, there's light enough to fight."

With a quick move, Loredan twirled the dagger in his hand and threw it at a pirate approaching Isabella from behind. The blade lodged in the man's neck, severing any potential reaction before it even appeared. He tottered to the floor, and his sweaty lump fell to the dusty ground, leaving him lying in a small puddle of blood.

Isabella shrieked. The captain sighed then grabbed her by her shoulders and shook her.

"Come to your senses. Wipe out those tears, this is war, lady."

More pirates. How many are there, for heaven's sake?

The captain shielded Isabella once again. His shout resonated in the gorge, and he lunged himself at the enemies, fighting beyond any human endurance. The Venetians and Baron Orsini wrestled like lions to fend off all those bloodthirsty enemies and protect Isabella and the baroness.

Although wounded on one arm, the baron rose at the sight of a bloody scimitar pointed to his screaming wife. His bald head bled copiously but he still had the strength to protect his baroness. He lifted his sword with the uninjured arm.

The baroness shoved him toward his attacker.

The poor nobleman fell, skewered by the pirate's blade. The Venetians made short work of the pirates. Soon they lay dead at their feet.

The horrific spectacle of the baron's corpse made Isabella sick with fear. Her eyes widened at the sight of another pirate executing the baron's vile wife. How could a woman be so selfish and merciless to sacrifice her own husband? He'd used his last strength to save the baroness's life instead of fighting to save himself and she didn't hesitate to send him to death. Isabella was sure the woman had gotten what she deserved.

A rotten-toothed pirate stared at her, his blood-lust filled eyes shimmering in the light of the torches. He sneered. Isabella eyed the baron's sword and grabbed hold of it.

Merciful Lord, it was damn too heavy and she couldn't lift it! What a fool she had been thinking she could face a pirate. It was over, she could read her end on his face.

Pater noster, qui es in coelis...

The pirate's sooted face laughed raucously. He raised his huge scimitar to slay her.

Sanctificetur nomen tuum...

This was her last breath. Dear God, she couldn't really believe her life was over.

He let out a frightening shout. She grasped a stone and threw it at the man but missed him.

She gaped in fear, still couldn't take her eyes off him or move a finger. She shivered—waiting for the end.

Adveniat regnum tuum...

The captain's war cry covered the clash of vibrant blades, and the pirate's head rolled onto the ground.

A heap of hungry mice launched themselves at it. Their gnawing filled Isabella's ears.

"Are you crazy, woman? Have you decided to play the sacrificial victim? Stand and follow me!" Captain Loredan's rude manners and shouts prevented her from losing her head.

"I'm not used to looking death in the eye, sir."

"You don't know how lucky you are, Signorina." His steely grasp curled around her arm and he lifted her up.

"Watch out!" Isabella hid behind him as he faced, alone, four more pirates who had swarmed in the tunnel.

Loredan was visibly exhausted, still he didn't give up. A soldier never did. The slice of a scimitar tore his uniform once again, and he cursed under his breath as he sneaked back an arm to protect Isabella. He finished the pirates off.