Chapter Three - No other options

"Look over my shoulders and let me know if you see any suspicious movement," he instructed her.

"It's pretty dark."

"Sharpen your senses, it's of vital importance."

Isabella looked over the captain's shoulders, moving her head from left to right.

"I can't see anything, I tell you! I barely make out the entrance to the cave, but if you think you can do better..."

"Alright, alright. If you will do me the grace to be quiet and not attract our enemies, you'll give your precious contribution to our survival."

What an unbearable man! Pompous, arrogant, irritating man. Isabella folded her arms on her chest. "I'll keep my mouth shut, are you feeling better now?"

"Much."

As soon as they exited the cave, a light breeze pushed the boat out to the sea. Captain Loredan eased up on the oars, using one as a rudder so they didn't get off course. The waves of the bay brought them quietly to the sea.

The dark barren promontories of the island observed their passage in silence.

Soon Brando and Isabella would emerge from the bay and go not far from the enemy ships, but hopefully they would not be seen. The current in favor made it possible for them to escape without effort or noise.

The pirates were too distracted ransacking the empty island to notice. That night tasted brackish water, oakwood and freedom.

Endless moments of heavy silence followed. Isabella moved restlessly. If only she could row, she would not feel so unhelpful.

"Where are we headed for?"

Loredan took a handful of seawater and washed the wounds on his arm. He inhaled deeply but didn't complain. Salty water on open wounds must be very painful.

"The wind is pushing us towards the west. This is good for now because we're moving away from the island. I only hope those outlaws won't chase us."

She stirred on her seat.

"I wish to be helpful."

"You've been silent so far, that's sufficient."

"Amusing, indeed."

She grimaced. The man didn't seem to lose a chance to be hateful.

"How's the kitten? I know cats hate water." Oh, so he cared for the cat? This sounded unbelievable.

Isabella slightly patted on her breast and Romeo's head peeped out. She smiled, his fur tickled her skin.

"I'd say he's fine, Captain."

"Why is he so important to you, then put your own life on the line to help him?"

"He is my grandmother's last gift, along with the necklace I wear. I loved her very much. Having Romeo with me is like having her at my side. At least a bit. You probably don't understand."

"I do. More than you'll ever know."

She nodded. "I wonder about my guardian and his wife..."

"I'm sorry. I doubt their corpses will ever be returned to Rome."

"I know." All of a sudden, Isabella's heart was heavy and old.

"I've lost my men, some of them were like brothers to me. But this is war. One moment you have everything; a moment later you have nothing. So sorry you had to learn this lesson, Signorina Isabella."

"It is not your fault, I suppose."

Loredan shrugged. "I haven't had the chance to talk to you that often before all this hell. I've always wondered what led you to the Isle of Lina. Was it only for supplies?"