Chapter 1

United States. New York. Twenty years later.

 Blood was everywhere. It ran down the walls and fell to the ground like a rain of blood. A lone man stood among the red mess. His white suit and blond hair were perfectly clean despite the bloody chaos that reigned. The man was extraordinarily handsome, and there was not a shadow of anger in his features. But the eyes of the stranger frightened. The red hue was like the glitter of rubies in the sunlight. The man stretched out his hand in my direction. At that moment, I raised a glowing dagger and plunged it directly into the man's wide chest.

***

"Good morning, New York! This is John Myers' morning show. Autumn is already here, and today we are waiting for a beautiful day with warm and sunny weather. On this beautiful morning of the first of September, two thousand and twenty-four, I want to play one of my favorite songs. May this morning be good, New York, and may all our listeners be happy!"

Once upon a time, I was a fool
Too cool for school
Gangster cruel
Blood in, blood out, pull the trigger, no doubt.
Lucky motherfucker, you don't know what I'd do to you.
I used to kick it with Lucifer
And he still lingers in the dark, oh, Lucifer,
You better watch out
(XOV — lucifer)

With a heavy sigh, I got out of bed. A delay of ten minutes from the usual waking time cost me breakfast. I have been waiting for this day for thirteen years. The pantsuit that I had chosen the day before beckoned with its sophistication and was waiting for the moment of our common triumph.

"Now I am a real journalist. My boss assigned me to write a separate column in one of the most popular publications in New York. This is your chance to prove yourself and achieve the recognition you want. Deira, don't miss this opportunity and do it without fear or doubt," I said to myself."

Every Monday morning began with huge traffic jams. There was no point in renting a car that day, as I could spend long hours in a crowded traffic and be late for my new job. Fortunately, the metro was the best option for me to get from one part of the city to another quickly. It allowed me to cover the distance in the shortest possible time.

The Daily News was located on one of the busiest streets in the city. Wall Street was the epicenter of life in New York City. Here life was in full swing around the clock and never stopped. The cherished building of the editorial office was the embodiment of architectural thought. For most of my life, I have looked at this massive structure with admiration and dreamed of working in this publishing house. And now, after a long time, my dream has become a reality.

After greeting the security officers, I immediately went to the editor-in-chief's office. Vincent Stiller has been the head of the Daily News for the past twenty years. Behind him, everyone in the newsroom called him Colonel Sanders. The appearance of this man copied the visual data of the creator of the world-famous brand with extreme accuracy. I quickly got used to the local jargon and, like all employees, began to use this nickname in my speech.

"Clara, is the boss at home?" I approached the secretary of the editor-in-chief, who was a girl a little older than myself."

"At home," the girl gave me a friendly smile. - He is now having a morning briefing."

"How is the colonel in your mood?" Asking my question, I felt very excited. "What can I expect from our meeting?"

"You're lucky. Sanders arrived in good spirits. His youngest son finally proposed to his girlfriend. Soon, the Stiller family will be replenished with a new member."