Chapter 2

"What are you talking about?" "My father's words caused me real shock and horror. "Is Victor dead?"

"One of the officers found his corpse this morning. According to preliminary data, death occurred as a result of burning the eyeballs.

"How?" I covered my mouth with my hand, holding back the onset of nausea. "Who could have killed Victor in such a terrible way?"

"That's what I've been trying to find out for the last few hours," my father turned to face me. "Judging by the surveillance cameras, the last person Victor came into contact with was you, Deira.

"You don't think I'm involved in this murder, do you?" His voice broke, and his eyes filled with tears. "Victor was a close friend of mine! He was my second parent after you!

"I don't think you're involved in his murder," his father took a deep breath. "But I am obliged to check all the versions. 

"This... It's terrible! Vic..." I fell on the sofa and gave in to an outburst of crying escaping from my throat. - What are the versions? Who could have committed this murder?

"I immediately excluded your candidacy. There is still the option of the "demon" who escaped from prison," his father emphasized the last word. "Deira, why do you need this guy?" What did you want to achieve from this meeting?

"You know what," my eyes drooped. "I wanted to see this guy secretly from you and understand what the old man meant by calling the guy a demon. You know that all these questions have been bothering me for twenty years. I was hoping to find material for an exposé article.

"And instead we have the corpse of an officer in the department," my father moved away from the window and headed towards the exit. "Now we will go to the office, where you will give all the necessary testimony. After that, I will let you go, but on one condition: you will stop trying to find something inexplicable

"Dad, I...

"Deira, I didn't take you off the street and take you under my wing to imprison you twenty years later for the murder of a police officer!" You understand that your actions are starting to create problems for all of us. And first of all, to yourself.

"I'm not creating any problems.

"You've got your dream job and you're going to get married soon." Barry is a nice guy, and he'll be unhappy when he finds out about your attempts to illegally infiltrate an incarcerated brawler.

"Don't let Barry know that," I knew what my father was trying to accomplish with his words. "He will lecture me again on prudence.

"In what I will support him. Deira, promise to leave all these things in the past for the last time and start living a normal life. I have given half of my life to you, and I want to receive a return favor from you.

"Good," my father's words left me no choice. "I'll leave everything in the past. I will write about social news, get married and have a couple of children. I will take a mortgage in the suburbs and get a dog. I promise.

"That's nice," my father smiled broadly and adjusted the collar of his jacket. "You've got twenty minutes to get ready."

When I walked out of the police department, I still couldn't comprehend what had happened. The murder of Victor was a real psychological blow for me. Victor has been a close friend of mine since childhood. When my father was invited to work for the New York City Police Department, Victor was the first to show me care and attention. My father was on calls all day long, and I spent all my free time with Victor.