Chapter 14

Butter's POV

A knock on my window jerked my attention from my homework towards where the noise came from. I squinted my eyes, seeing a familiar silhouette outside my window. The unmistakable thick parka he wore showed against the sunlight behind him.

I slowly opened the window, careful not to make any unnecessary noise to alert my parents.

Kenny quickly slipped inside, quiet as to not disturb anyone.

"What are you doing here? You didn't call me to warn me- what if my parents saw you?" I wasn't that I didn't want to see him, but my parents wouldn't exactly be keen on having Kenny sneaking into my room without them knowing.

"I guess I was so lost in thought that I absentmindedly drove to you," he said weakly.

I didn't know what to say. Kenny was usually very confident and always seemed to know what to do and say to make the mood more playful. But his mannerisms made it appear that he was dealing with something internally. Why would he come here instead of going home? What was he thinking about? What was wrong?

"Kenny," I began, my heart thumping so loud in my chest I was afraid it was drowning out my voice. "Why did you come all the way here?" I wanted to know, but at the same time, I didn't. He was making me nervous.

What if he wants to tell me he wants to stop the relationship we have? The thought scared me. What if he tells me he knows I have feelings for him and tells me how disgusting he finds me? My heart beat faster. I didn't want that to happen. Not yet. I wasn't prepared.

"I had a little run in with someone who made me realize that I had been holding back on you." He wasn't meeting my gaze. His voice was dripping with shame.

Oh no, I thought, my assumptions all rushing forward to the forefront of my mind. He's going to tell me he wants nothing to do with me.

"I've been telling myself for so long that the only way for me to take care of my sister is to avoid relationships." He finally looked at me, his gaze so soft and warm that I thought I would melt right then and there. "I avoided getting too attached and pushed people away or voided my emotions towards them so I wouldn't catch feelings."

I held my breath as he continued, expecting the worst.

"But you made me realize that I don't need to choose. I can have both and I can be happy with both." He smiled sweetly. "I really like you. You're the only person I've ever been with who doesn't make me question whether or not I'm making the right choices."

My breath quickened with my heartbeat. What was he saying? Was he confessing to me? I could hardly breathe anymore. Was this really happening? Did I doze off and now I'm dreaming such a blissful dream?

I started to cry. I wasn't sad though. I was so happy. This was really happening. This was all real.

Kenny panicked. He reached out to comfort me but stopped just before he actually touched me. "Was I wrong?" He asked sadly. "Was I just getting the wrong impression?"

I shook my head vigorously. "No! I'm actually really happy," I said, sniffling, trying my best to wipe away the tears. Right when I was having so many doubts. Right when I was starting to give up on having anything more. I get this. What ironic timing.

Kenny sighed in relief. He grabbed my wrists and pulled me closer, wrapping his arms over my shoulders and held the back of my head in his hand as I rested my cheek on his shoulder. His warmth, his scent, his presence, it all came together to bring the most soothing comfort.

"I'm sorry it took me so long to admit everything to you," he murmured. "I think I finally had some sense knocked into me."

After wiping away my tears I asked, "What happened?"

Kenny laughed uncomfortably. "Your friend, Dougie, he made me realize, in much less kind words, that I was being very selfish." His gaze softened. His hands slipped their way to my cheeks and he gazed into my eyes with a gaze I had never seen from him before.

I was getting lost in his deep blue gaze. His eyes were so easy to get lost in, especially while he was looking at me with such a face.

"I'm rock hard right now," Kenny said, still looking at me the same loving gaze as before.

I let out a snort of laughter. His bluntness in saying something like that completely changed the mood. I grabbed his wrists and pulled his hands away from my face, failing to control my laughter.

"I'm kidding," Kenny said playfully. "A little."

"I... I never imagined you of all people would like me back," I murmured. This was all surreal. Just moments ago I thought he was about to tell me he wanted nothing to do to me and now I was processing the fact that he confessed to me.

"I never thought I would meet someone who made me realize being in a relationship isn't so bad," Kenny said, half laughing. "Some of the chicks at our school are nice, but... I never saw them as more than that. Just friendly, or overly nice. They all wanted to be the next one. Bebe loves to gloat to her friends that she dated me the longest." He let out a sigh.

They were just in competition with each other to stay with him the longest? It made more sense that he would be more cruel to them, but that didn't change the fact that the way he treated them was cruel.

"But you," Kenny began, his voice so soft it was almost a whisper. "You changed that. I love spending time with you, and you're so kind to my sister. Karen adores you and so do I." He leant down to kiss me on the cheek.

I blushed madly. I couldn't believe this was happening.

"I gotta get home," Kenny said, smiling. "I'll see you in class tomorrow."

I watched as he climbed out his window and walked to his car. He looked back a few times smiling, before he left.

I flopped onto my bed, unable to believe what was happening. I half expected to wake up from this dream.