Scars of Trust

The classroom buzzed with the usual murmur of students preparing for the combined lecture. The late afternoon sun streamed through the windows, casting warm, golden rays across the rows of wooden benches. She sat near the middle of the room, her head bent low over her notebook, lost in a world of her own creation as her pen danced across the paper, scribbling absentmindedly. It was a habit she couldn't shake, one that brought her a strange comfort amidst the chaos of her thoughts.

Her benchmate leaned in, her voice barely a whisper, tinged with a mix of excitement and dread. "Oh my god, he's coming towards us."

She didn't look up. Instead, she kept her eyes fixed on the page, determined to ignore the rising tide of emotions that threatened to overwhelm her. The scribbles grew more intense, her grip on the pen tightening.

"He's sitting in the back," her friend whispered again, the urgency in her voice almost palpable.

He had taken a seat directly behind her. The air grew thick with unspoken words, with the weight of what had been and what could never be again. She could feel his presence like a shadow, cold yet familiar, lingering just out of reach.

Then, without warning, his hands slid around her shoulders, his touch warm and uninvited. He rested his chin on her shoulder, the closeness of him sending a shiver down her spine. She didn't flinch, though every muscle in her body tensed. She stayed rooted in place, her pen still, but her heart racing.

"Can't we make things like before?" His voice was a breath against her skin, a plea laced with longing. He closed his eyes, breathing in the scent of her, as if trying to capture a memory that was slipping away. She closed her eyes too, the familiar scent of him mingling with the ink and paper, pulling her into the past, into a time when things were simpler, when they were together.

But she said nothing.

"Can we fix things again? Be together like we used to?" he whispered, his nose brushing against her cheek, his desperation seeping into every word.

The classroom had grown quiet, the others around them watching, aware of the fragile moment unfolding in front of them, but too polite or too unsure to intervene.

Yet, she remained silent, her pen now resting on the page, the scribbles incomplete, just like the words she wanted to say but couldn't.

The classroom was a mix of quiet whispers and the subtle hum of conversations, some students absorbed in their own worlds, while others stole glances at the scene unfolding before them. The air felt heavy with the tension between them, the words they spoke cutting through the background noise like a knife.

"I couldn't decide," he began, his voice low and strained, trying to explain the confusion that had plagued him. "Your texts to Swanaj... they messed with my head. My ego wouldn't let me choose-whether I should've come to you or just let you go."

She remained still, listening intently, her expression unreadable as he continued.

"I swear, I hung out with her just to prove I didn't care about you," he confessed, his voice cracking. "But I was lying to myself, even knowing you were waiting for me in the rain. I knew."

Her eyes opened, locking onto his with a fierce intensity. Slowly, she reached for his hands, still wrapped around her, and began to gently unbuckle them from her shoulders, her touch soft, lingering, as if conveying all the love she still held for him. But he resisted, refusing to let her go.

"I was ready to forgive everything," she said, her voice steady but laced with pain. She met his gaze, her eyes searching his soul. "I wanted to talk, to fight, to do everything to fix *us*. But you made me realize there's no 'us' anymore."

She looked away then, a bitter chuckle escaping her lips. "Seems like what I feared most has finally happened."

He could see the hurt in her eyes, the way her expression had hardened, her once warm brown eyes now reflecting only numbness. "You gave her my place-the place you promised was only reserved for me."

"Never," he interjected quickly, frowning. "I never gave anyone your place, Jaan."

She shook her head, her lips curving into a sad smile, the weight of unshed tears making her eyes glisten. "It was just yesterday. How could you forget so easily, Yug?" Her voice was soft but carried the pain of a thousand broken promises. "You chose her."

"No," he protested, his hold on her tightening, desperate. "No, I didn't." His arms encircled her protectively, unwilling to let her go. "Please, come back. Is there no way you'll come back to me, back into my embrace?"

Her gaze turned piercing as she looked directly into his eyes, her own brimming with tears she refused to let fall. "Does that change the fact that you chose someone else, no matter what ridiculous reason you had? Does that make me forget what you did, even when you knew what would hurt me the most?"

His breath caught in his throat, his heart aching at the sight of her on the verge of breaking down. "I'm sorry," he whispered, pressing a tender kiss to her temple. He hugged her tightly, oblivious to the stares of the others in the room, caring only about the woman in his arms. "I'm so sorry, Jaan. Please forgive me. I'll do anything to earn your forgiveness. Just don't leave me."

She pulled back slightly, just enough to look into his eyes, her expression firm and resolute. "Earn it," she said, her voice strong, no longer wavering. "Earn my trust."

"I will," he promised, the desperation in his voice giving way to determination. "I will, just don't leave me."

She held his gaze for a long moment, searching for the sincerity in his words, before finally giving a small nod. The path ahead was uncertain, but for now, they both knew they had taken the first step toward finding their way back to each other.
Saga's life had always been a labyrinth of emotions, with walls built high to protect herself from the pain she had known too well. From a young age, she had learned that trust was a fragile thing, easily shattered and nearly impossible to rebuild. Her father's betrayal-cheating on her mother, mistreating her, and failing in every role that mattered-left scars that ran deep. He had never been there when they needed him most, and in those formative years, Saga learned to equate love with disappointment, and trust with inevitable betrayal.

So, when she met Yug, her heart was hesitant, cautious, and guarded. She had pushed him away many times, fearing that allowing herself to care for him would only lead to more heartache. But slowly, almost against her will, she began to develop feelings for him. His persistence, his kindness-there were moments when she thought, just maybe, she could trust him.

But then there was Raina. Every time Saga saw Raina clinging to Yug, especially during those moments when Saga and Yug were distant, it was like a knife twisting in the wounds she thought had healed. It wasn't just jealousy-Saga had never been one to envy. It was the old fear, the deep-seated trauma resurfacing, reminding her that she could never really trust anyone, not fully. Yug's lack of boundaries with Raina, his inability to recognize how much it hurt her, made Saga question everything. Was she destined to repeat the patterns of her parents? Was she doomed to love someone who would, in the end, only betray her?

Yug's actions, though perhaps innocent in intent, left her confused and torn. On one hand, she wanted to believe in him, to trust that what they had was real and strong enough to withstand the challenges. On the other hand, every time she saw him with Raina, every time she felt like she was being replaced, her past came rushing back, overwhelming her with doubt and fear. The silent treatments, the unresolved arguments-they only added fuel to the fire, making her question whether Yug was truly different from her father, or if he was just another source of inevitable pain.

In her heart, Saga yearned for love, for a relationship where she could feel safe and valued. But her past had taught her to be wary, to protect herself even if it meant building walls so high that no one, not even Yug, could climb them. And with each of Yug's missteps, those walls grew thicker, leaving her to wonder if she could ever truly let him in, or if her trust issues would always stand in the way of the love she so desperately wanted but was too afraid to believe in.