𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐑𝐞𝐛𝐞𝐥

Summary: Sam had always dreamed of leaving the life and going to college. Today was finally the day he'd find out if he got in, but when he did...he was dreading the reactions of his family.

(Y/N and Sam are 18 years old and Dean is 22 years old)

TW: Mentions of abuse/violence against minors.

________________________________

Third Person POV

•2001

Sam paced in the living room. "I'm nervous," he huffed as he held the letter from Stanford in his hands. "Yeah, no kidding. You're gonna get in, Sammy" Y/N assured him. "You say that but..." Sam replied, looking down at the letter in his hands, "What if I don't?"

Y/N rolled her eyes at him and snatched it away from Sam, "Fine, I'll open it" She grumbled, tearing open the little envelope. "What- Hey!" Sam tried to grab the letter back when Y/N took it, but she wouldn't let him get it. "You just said you're too scared to open it, so I'm doing it for you" She retorted.

She narrowed her eyes at the letter, reading it as she put on a faux-sad face. "Dear Mr. Winchester...we regret to inform you that..." Sam's heart sank, thinking Y/N was reading a rejection letter to him, he was about to speak when Y/N smirked and continued with a smirk, "You've been accepted!"

Sam's eyes widened, "What?" he then quickly snatched the letter from Y/N's hands and looked at the letter to confirm what she said was true and then couldn't hide his excitement. "Congratulations you dipshit!" Y/N cheered but internally her heart sank, knowing she won't be seeing her best friend again but it's what he deserved. He wanted out and he just got it. She couldn't be happier for him.

Sam suddenly wrapped his arms around Y/N in a tight embrace with a dorky, wide smile on his face. "Oh my God, I can't believe it! I got in!" he exclaimed. "I told you!" She scoffed, shoving him lightly when they pulled away from the hug. He chuckled slightly, ruffling her hair, "Yeah, yeah, I know" he said before a realization hit him, he then frowned a bit.

"How are we gonna tell Dean?" Sam voiced his concern. "He's not gonna take it well..." Y/N replied, knowing that as soon as Sam told Dean about Stanford and that he was finally getting out, Dean was gonna be heartbroken. Sam nodded as he sat down on the couch. "Yeah, I know, but I can't not tell him, ya know..." he pointed out, a sense of guilt building up inside him.

"You can tell him when you're ready" Y/N rested a comforting hand on his shoulder. Sam sighed, "I guess you're right..." He looked at Y/N, appreciating her understanding and comforting words. "Thanks, y/n/n". She smiled at him, resting her head on his shoulder, "Anytime, Sammy"

-

•Two Days Later

After days of trying to find the perfect time to tell Dean, Sam was finally ready to do it. John and F/N we're still on their hunt, thankfully. He was nervous, knowing how his brother would react but took a deep breath and walked into the living room where he found Dean watching tv. Sam sat down next to him.

"Hey, Dean... Can we talk?" Dean looked over at Sam and immediately noticed the serious tone in his brother's voice. He turned off the tv and gave Sam his undivided attention. "Yeah, Sammy. What's up?"

Sam took a deep breath, gathering his thoughts before speaking. "So, I applied to Stanford a while back..." he began carefully. Dean's eyebrows furrowed slightly, and a look of confusion passed over his face. "Stanford? As in the college in California?" he asked, trying to understand what Sam was getting at.

Sam nodded, "Yeah, that's the one. I uh... I got a letter from them recently" he paused for a moment, bracing himself for the reaction, "I got accepted." Dean's expression changed instantly, his jaw clenching as if holding back a mix of emotions. "You...you what?" he asked, trying to keep his voice steady.