002

After a short bus ride, I reached my destination – the shopping mall.

I cautiously walked through the bustling mall, surrounded by a colorful buzz of lively conversations, cheerful laughter, and the tempting smell of freshly baked pretzels. My long, light blonde hair fell in soft waves over my shoulders, framing my pretty, oval-shaped face. My large, brown eyes scanned the surroundings curiously as I observed the lively scene.

I was wearing a simple, dark blue denim jacket, a bit worn at the sleeves, and comfortable black leggings that I paired with a stylish yet plain gray-and-white T-shirt. My sneakers showed signs of countless explorations, but they were still good enough for my purposes to stroll through the busy aisles of the mall.

My face depicted a mix of determination and regret as I gazed at the store displays: the dazzling dresses on mannequins, the cheerful colors, and the shimmering fabrics. The storefronts showcased tempting bargains, but my slim wallet tucked away in my crossbody bag reminded me that my budget was limited. It was a fine line between desire and restraint, between the longing for new clothes and the reality of my financial situation.

Again and again, I stopped in front of a soft pastel dress that stood out among the shiny sale items. I briefly brushed my fingers over the soft fabric and could imagine what it would feel like to wear it. But I quickly shook off the thought and turned my attention back to the next shop.

With a determined yet gentle smile on my lips, I began to inspect the sale signs dangling from the shelves more closely.

"Maybe I'll find a nice piece in the sale," I murmured softly to myself. Again and again, I flipped through the stacks and explored the racks while my eyes searched for a little moment of happiness – a dress that would not only be pretty but also affordable.

"Found anything yet?" I flinched slightly before realizing that a young woman about my age, with chestnut brown hair and blue-gray eyes, was smiling at me. She leaned over to glance over my shoulder to see if I had discovered something. Overwhelmed by her warmth and radiant smile, I had to hold myself together not to flinch again.

"Um, not yet... how about you?" I asked her, barely hiding my uncertainty as I had not made any acquaintances in Nightburg so far and tended to be more reserved.

She shook her head and smiled even wider. "I'm still searching too. There are so many beautiful things here!" With a slight nod, she pointed at the colorful displays of the little shops filled with handmade artworks, jewelry, and fragrant candles.

For a moment, we just stood there, surrounded by all the sparkling treasures, until she broke the silence. "By the way, I'm Clara," she introduced herself, extending her hand to me. "And you?"

"I'm Sofia," I replied, taking her hand. Her smile grew even wider, and only then did I notice her freckles on her nose – so cute. Her handshake was firm and warm, and I felt a bit more comfortable. Perhaps this was the beginning of a new friendship?

"How about we grab a coffee at that cute café next door after we're done browsing?" she suggested, pointing to a small, inviting café with a cozy terrace adorned with colorful flowers. "I've heard they have the best chocolate cakes in town!"

I hesitated for a moment to come to terms with my decision, but the idea sounded tempting. "That sounds great!" I finally said, feeling my tension slowly dissipate. I thought of home and remembered my friends, Laura and William.

Since my mother passed away two years ago, I had been avoiding contact with them. It was very hard for me, but I wanted to start anew and find myself again. It's important for me to take the time to think about how to move forward.