CHAPTER 5 : SILENT EPIDEMIC

The chaos outside Central High School was unlike anything the city had ever seen. As the students poured out of the school, their screams mingled with the husky roars of the zombies that had overtaken the once-peaceful campus. The narrow streets around the school were choked with the wild crowd, students and teachers, all trying to escape the nightmare that had  become their reality.

The once-bustling roads now felt apocalyptic. Cars were abandoned in the middle of the road, their drivers either fleeing on foot or giving in to the terror. The usual peace replaced by a noise of panicked cries and the sinister moans of the undead. The sky, once bright and clear, was now a heavy, harsh gray, casting a shadow over the scene of ruin.

In the middle of the chaos, a woman named Jessica was driving to her workplace, her thoughts filled with the day's events. She had no idea that a apocalypse was unfolding right outside her window. As she approached the school, she noticed the traffic slowing down, and her curiosity turned to concern when she saw the mass of people fleeing in all directions.

Jessica parked her car at the side of the road, her eyes widening in horror as she saw the zombies attacking students and faculty members alike. She stepped out of her vehicle, her heart pounding as she tried to figure out the nightmare before her. She saw people running, screaming, and some even fighting the zombies off with anything they could find. But the number of the undead was overwhelming.

Wanting to get away, Jessica turned to run, but the chaos was spreading faster than she thought. She tried to run through the crowd, but the path was blocked by the swarm of zombies that seemed to be multiplying by the second. Her attempts to push through were in vain as the creatures came closer to her.

In her panic, Jessica didn't notice the group of zombies coming from an alleyway, their hollow eyes locked onto her. They were faster than she had expected, their movements unnaturally fast. She let out a scream as one of the zombies lunged at her, its sharp teeth sinking into her arm. The pain was intense, and she struggled to fight off the creature, but it was too late. The bite had already broken her skin.

Jessica's vision blurred as the infection began to take hold. She stumbled backward, her breath coming in shallow, frantic gasps. Her surroundings grew hazy as the world around her devolved into a nightmarish blur. The infection spread rapidly through her bloodstream, her body succumbing to the transformation.

As she fell to the ground, her consciousness fading, Jessica's final thoughts were a mix of fear and disbelief. The city she had known and loved was slipping away, replaced by a grotesque reality she couldn't escape. Within moments, she was fully transformed, her eyes now a lifeless shade of gray. She rose to her feet, now one of the undead, joining the ranks of the creatures that had brought such devastation.

.

.

.

In the office of the city mayor, an atmosphere of urgency and dread hung heavy. The room was stark and austere, with dark wood paneling and a large mahogany desk cluttered with documents and empty coffee cups. The television mounted on the wall was tuned to a local news broadcast, its screen showing alarming footage of the chaos erupting in the city.

Mayor John Reynolds, a man in his early fourtees with a stern demeanor, stared intently at the screen. His face was set in a grim expression as he watched the live coverage of the zombie apocalypse that had begun at Central High School and was now spreading rapidly through the city. The broadcast showed scenes of pandemonium—people fleeing, buildings on fire, and the relentless advance of the undead.