CHAPTER 4 : STAY ALIVE

The air inside the storage room was thick with tension as the group sat together, their breaths coming in short, anxious gasps. The old door, now barely hanging on its rusty hinges, was their last line of defense against the horrors outside. Every sound, every creak, set their nerves on edge.

Suddenly, a loud bang echoed through the small space, followed by another. The door shook violently as if something—or someone—was trying to force it open. Aurora's heart raced as she signaled for the others to stay quiet. They had all seen enough to know what could be waiting on the other side.

As the loud banging on the door continued, the four girls inside the storage room froze. Their hearts pounded all at once, eyes wide as they exchanged nervous glances. It wasn't just the constant banging that unnerved them—it was the tone of the voice outside. This wasn't someone pleading for help; it was someone issuing orders, sharp and determined.

"Open the door, now!" the voice demanded, cutting through the tense silence. It wasn't panicked, but firm, as if whoever was on the other side had no time for hesitation.

Aurora's hand instinctively moved toward the door handle, but she paused, looking back at Kaya, Diya, and Sasha. The air in the room was thick with uncertainty.

"Who is that?" Kaya whispered, her voice barely audible as she glanced around.

The door to the storage room rattled violently, the sound echoing through the small space. Aurora, Kaya, Diya, and Sasha froze, their hearts pounding in unison. The banging grew louder, more determined, as if whoever was on the other side was desperate to get in—or to get them out.

"Is it... zombies?" Kaya whispered, her voice trembling.

Aurora shook her head, her ears straining to catch any other sounds. "No... listen."

Through the banging, they could hear a voice, sharp and commanding. "Hurry up and get out! We don't have time—open the door, now!"

It wasn't the pleading cry of a victim or the groan of a zombie. This was someone giving orders, someone who didn't sound like they were about to take no for an answer.

Diya exchanged a nervous glance with Sasha. "Who do you think it is?"

Aurora's eyes narrowed. "We won't know unless we open the door. But if it's a human..."

"...then they're probably in as much danger as we are," Sasha finished, her grip tightening on the piece of broken pipe she held like a weapon.

Aurora took a deep breath, her hand reaching for the rusted handle. "Stay back, all of you. If it's a trap, we need to be ready."

Slowly, cautiously, Aurora turned the handle and pulled the door open a crack. The moment she did, the door was yanked open from the other side, and a figure pushed their way into the room.

It was Dominic, her face flushed with urgency. She looked around at the group, her eyes sharp and focused. "What the hell are you all doing in here? We need to move—now."

Aurora blinked in surprise. Dominic? Of all people, she hadn't expected her. "What are you doing here?"

"No time to explain," Dominic snapped, her voice low but intense. "My father sent a car. It'll be here at the school gate in three minutes. If you want to live, you'll come with me. But we have to go, now."

Sasha raised an eyebrow, skeptical. "Why are you helping us?"

Dominic's jaw tightened. "I can't save everyone, but I'm not leaving people to die if I can help it. Now, are you coming or not?"