Chapter 4: The party

Lena's POV

I stood in front of my closet, staring at the limited options hanging there with a mix of apprehension and resignation. I'd always been a jeans-and-hoodie kind of girl. Tonight, however, was different. My friends—Ashley, Chloe, and Brianna—had taken it upon themselves to completely overhaul my look for the party. I felt like a fish out of water, but their enthusiasm was infectious.

"Lena, you need to trust us," Ashley insisted, her hands burrowing deep into my wardrobe while Chloe and Brianna flanked her, rifling through clothes with purpose. They had barged into my room after school, determined to turn me into someone I hardly recognized.

I held up a plain black dress I'd worn once to a family dinner, seeking their approval. "What about this one?" Ashley wrinkled her nose with exaggerated disapproval. "No way. We're not going for a funeral theme. You need something that's going to get you noticed."

Chloe, already diving into the depths of my closet with a gleeful grin, added, "You've got an amazing figure, Lena. Let's show it off. And don't worry about the makeup—we'll handle that." Nerves mingled with excitement as I let them take control. Part of me was curious to see if I could catch Elliot's eye tonight, though I wouldn't admit that to myself.

After some debate, Brianna pulled out a white miniskirt and a matching tube top. "This is it," she declared, holding the outfit up with a grin. "It's perfect."

I eyed the outfit, a small knot of anxiety forming in my stomach. "It's reeeaaaally short. Like I literally haven't worn that skirt since I was 10"

Ashley laughed as if it was the most obvious thing in the world.

Reluctantly, I agreed. Slipping into the outfit I already felt like myself again. I used to be confident and outgoing but I don't know where it all went wrong. Chloe and Ashley took charge of my makeup, applying false lashes and my usual lipcombo. 

"You look incredible," Ashley said, her eyes sparkling with satisfaction. Brianna handed me a pair of white kitten heels that matched perfectly. "These will complete the look. Trust us, Lena—you're going to turn heads tonight."

"WE are going to turn heads," Ashley corrected with a grin.

Arriving at the Party

The house was already buzzing with energy when we arrived, the music vibrating through the floor. I could feel my heart racing, a heady mix of nerves and excitement fluttering in my chest. This was far from my usual scene, but the girls' infectious enthusiasm made it easier to embrace.

As we walked through the front door, heads turned immediately. I felt every pair of eyes on me, the heat of their gaze making me self-conscious. The attention was overwhelming but thrilling. I tried to ignore the way my cheeks flushed and focused on enjoying myself.

I noticed a group of guys near the kitchen. One of them, tall and muscular with dark hair, gave me an appreciative glance that made my face heat up. I quickly looked away, feeling a mix of embarrassment and unaccustomed pleasure.

As I tried to navigate through the crowd, my mind kept drifting to Elliot. I hadn't seen him yet, and the anticipation was gnawing at me.

Then, I spotted him. He was in the back of the room, lounging with his usual group. His dark hair and fitted black shirt gave him a casually cool vibe, but it was the girl on his lap that made my stomach twist. She was pretty, blonde, and seemingly at ease, her arm draped around his shoulders as she laughed at something he said.

Jealousy struck me like a physical blow. I forced myself to keep moving, my face set in a neutral expression, determined not to let him see how much his presence—and the girl—affected me.