Chapter 2

Veronica woke up next to Hugh unconscious. But she was tied down in handcuffs not able to get up and ask him was he okay. She kicked him on his stomach with her heel. Shocked, he wakes up screaming. His face turns red at the embarrassment front of his crush. Veronica knew it well, but hated the fact he won't admit it. Hugh was a reserved person, he did have a charming smile, and quite the humor to strike up a conversation. Obviously, very smart. Veronica and Hugh were both focused and considerate of their studies too much. That's why they really didn't want to fathom up for a relationship. Unless they were going to the same college. Veronica on the other hand did want Hugh to admit that he really liked her, but she wanted to give him time. She didn't want to seem impatient, of course.
"Are you okay, Veronica?" He asked politely.
Excited at him for saying her name right. "YES." He looked at her surprised. Because he has never seen her so cheerful. "Why are we in handcuffs?" He asks confused. "Hugh, we are being kidnapped?"
"For?! THEY CLEARLY SHOULD KNOW THAT I DONT HAVE THE MONEY FOR WINNING THE SCHOOL GETS IT." In anger he bangs his shoulder against the windowless van. "LET US OUT!" He screams at the men driving, who simply seem unamused by him screaming. "I tried. They don't speak English." Veronica said.
"The fuck?"
"Well it's true."
"You speak a different language, don't you?"
"I speak Finnish. Not French." Veronica clarifies sternly.
"Yea yea. I forgot you speak finish or fishy. Whatever."
"It's Finnish. Not fishy or finish." Again, annoyed with what he says.
"Can't you do some voodoo shit?" Grumpily asks Hugh with his monotone.
"No.. Why would you assume such thing?"
"Schweigen . Sie zwei Delinquenten. Aufhören zu reden auf einmal."
"That's not French, Ver." Hugh says looking at the men.
"I wouldn't know. I never took french. I took Spanish." She whispers to him forcefully.
"I didn't take French either. But I'm not stupid like you. At least I know the difference."
"Oh.. well" she replies.
"SEI STILL!" The man yells a by the drivers seat.
"I think they want us to be quiet." Hugh says to Veronica, motioning his head to bow the orders of the German man.
"How do you know?" She asks softly.
"AP European History class. Remember?"
"You remember that?!" Veronica asks surprised yet in a hushed voice.
"I get bored a lot. My eyes wander a lot."
"Fair enough."
They kept quiet their entire ride. But slowly Veronica's stomach starts churning in anxiety. What if these men slaughter them apart? Hugh didn't seem a bit worried, but why did she?