Chapter 1

♰ One ♰

           As graceful as I could, which wasn't very graceful, I put the weeks groceries down on the counter and slumped against the wall. My arms were so sore and my legs tired, but I had things to do before he got home. So, I picked myself up and unpacked the groceries. It was already late in the afternoon and the rest of my duties to be done were not even close to finishing and dinner has not been made. Panicking, I unpacked the groceries even faster, putting things away at random knowing he'd yell at me for things being unorganized.

          I then began to hurriedly unpack cuts of chicken and place it in the sink to thaw. After that I began clearing off the counter clutter of letters, bills, and useless papers. Luckily, there were no dishes in the sink making my job a little easier. But there were floors to sweep, walls to dust, bathrooms to disinfect, and a dinner to cook. I then began wiping off the stove before I began cooking. I sweep the floors spotless and put the shoes that he lazily leaves on the floor in our, I mean his, room. I could feel the sweat cluttering upon my brow and my hair falling out of place and it reminded me, I must look presentable for him as well.

          I then begin working even faster so I have time to get ready. I sweep the floors with the vacuum rather than a broom even though I know it ruins the hardwood floor. The floors are swept, now I need to cook. I run over to the sink and poke the chicken to see if its thawed, not even close. I gasp knowing this will be no where near thawed by the time he's home. So I run the hot water over the chicken to thaw it quicker.

          Hurry, hurry, please hurry.

          While the water runs over the chicken breast, I dust the walls and crevices free of pesky allergens. After I finish dusting the living room and the dining room, I run back to the chicken. I poke it again making sure it is done. It isn't quite thawed but there isn't much time. I take of the plastic wrapping around the chicken and place it on the small, plug-in grill. While that is cooking, I begin washing the field greens I bought earlier today. After that is done, I run to the other rooms of the house and dust them quickly. As soon as a finish, I begin viciously scrubbing the bathroom floor and the sink. I then quickly ran back downstairs to wash more vegetables and check on the chicken.

          Shit.

          I cooked it too long. Since I had no choice, I quickly took the chicken out of the grill and placed it on a cutting board. I chopped it up and placed it onto the mix of field greens, Swiss cheese, grape tomatoes, and strawberries, he was watching his diet. I cut slices of bread and filled one crystal clean glass with red wine. I placed his plate onto the very end of the table along with his glass of wine. I was worried that he was becoming alcoholic, he would come home from work and drink until he would become drunk and then he would... well he would get hostile. 

         I then ran up to his room and began to dress attractively. I pulled a tight black dress adorned with lace onto my slightly sweaty body. As I began slipping my feet into slightly sparkled, black heels, I heard his car pull into the driveway. I gasped and began dressing quicker. I quickly pulled my hair up into a slightly messy, slightly elegant bun kept together by a diamond hair clip he bought. I then wrapped a diamond necklace around my neck and slipped my ring back on. Yes, I was engaged to him. Yes, I do love him very much. But no, I do not enjoy wearing my engagement ring.

        I heard the front door swing open followed by an abundance of laughter from another man. My eyes widened, I had no idea there were going to be guests over. My heart dropped as I walked down the stairs as quietly as I could in these heels. I then walked into the kitchen to meet him and a friend from his work.