Lunch Box Chatter

(High School Courtyard)

{Virgil} "I hate the way everyone stares at me. I dress like this all the time, I don't know what's so interesting."

{Remus} "It doesn't matter what they think, they don't have fashion sense anyways."

Virgil threw his bag on the metal seat across from Remus, who was already tearing into his lunch bag. How someone could be so hungry at 11 in the morning was beyond Virgil. Why lunch was at 11 am was also beyond Virgil.

{Remus} "I'm telling you, stop caring what people think and you'll be way happier."

{Virgil} "You do realize you're telling that to the guy with severe chronic anxiety right?"

{Remus} "You gonna take my advice or not?"

Remus gave Virgil a smirk before looking around for Janus, who hadn't been to school yet. Virgil wasn't sure why, Janus didn't normally miss school, especially not the first week.

{Virgil} "Is he here?"

{Remus} "No, I guess he's not coming. Have you seen him today?"

{Virgil} "Nope, which is a shame. We're supposed to have history together."

{Remus} " Oh, right! Y'all got the weird teacher right?"

{Virgil} " Yeah, we just sit there and make fun of him the whole period. I mean who can blame us? He says problematic stuff to a bunch of 15 year olds then gets mad when they judge him."

{Remus} "My English teachers kinda like that. She makes all of those 'I bet you're on your phones all day' and 'This new generation has no work ethic' comments. I don't know what point she thinks she's making."

{Virgil} "Adults are weird."

{Remus} "Yeah, but they'll all die out soon, so that's nice."

There it was. Remus's weird death comment of the day, and in the middle of lunch too. Virgil was used to it though, he'd known the guy for 2 years at this point, ever since Janus introduced them in gym.

{Virgil} "Why hasn't he been at school?"

{Remus} "You know the whole... face situation. He'll be back soon, you know his parents don't care bout it."

{Virgil} "He needs to take the time when he's not at school and go to therapy."

{Remus} "He should have been at therapy over the summer but his parents won't pay, and you know how Florida healthcare is. Doesn't help that he denies needing therapy."

Janus should have been in therapy a long time ago. But he wasn't, all because his parents wouldn't take him. They were the whole reason he acted the way he did, people don't lie like that for no reason. His masked persona and attitude were just that, a mask meant to hide away his true self. The self only him and Remus had gotten to see.

{Remus} "Virgil look! Some kid fell in a trash can! How do you manage to do that? Granted, I'd do that for like a buck."

{Virgil} "You'd do it for free Remus. Do you think Jan managed the summer?"

Remus paused a bit before nervously chuckling.

{Remus} "Why wouldn't he? Jan's got tough skin, literally, he's fine!"

{Virgil} "Did y'all do anything over the summer?"

{Remus} "Uhh, well no, but it was scheduling conflicts! Nothing really worked out. We still talked and he said he's doing good, so he's doing good!"

Virgil shot Remus a doubtful look, which Remus avoided. That how Remus dealt with everything, ignorance. Its easy to not care what others think or how you're really doing or how your life is slowly going downhill when you just ignore it. Doesn't mean that's a good thing.