Chapter 3: The Buried Truth

Avalyn looked at Ethan, a hint of curiosity in her eyes. "Is that why they used to call you 'The Hick' in high school? Because you didn't fit into their elite circle?"

Ethan sighed, a mix of frustration and resignation in his expression. "Yeah, that was part of it. They saw me as an outsider, someone who didn't belong in their world. Lydia and her friends made sure everyone knew it."

Avalyn reached out, placing a comforting hand on his arm. "You never told me how much it bothered you."

Ethan shrugged, trying to downplay the pain. "I didn't want to burden you with it. Besides, I thought it didn't matter as long as we had each other."

Avalyn's grip tightened slightly. "It does matter, Ethan. And now, we're going to make sure the truth comes out. No more secrets."

Ethan took a deep breath, his eyes softening as he looked at Avalyn. "It's getting late, and we both need some rest. I think we should call it a night and pick this up tomorrow with fresh minds."

Avalyn nodded, though a hint of reluctance lingered in her expression. "You're right. We need to be at our best to figure this out."

Ethan stood up, stretching slightly. "I'll head back to my place. You should get some sleep too. We'll meet up in the morning and go over everything again."

Avalyn smiled, though it didn't quite reach her eyes. "Alright. Be careful, Ethan."

"You too, Avalyn," he replied, his voice filled with genuine concern.

Ethan drove through the quiet streets, his mind heavy with thoughts of the past and the challenges ahead. As he approached his mansion, the grandeur of the estate came into view. The mansion was an architectural marvel, blending classic elegance with modern sophistication. Tall, wrought-iron gates opened to a long, winding driveway lined with meticulously manicured gardens and towering trees.

The exterior of the mansion was a stunning combination of stone and glass, with large windows that offered a glimpse of the luxurious interior. The entrance was marked by a grand portico, supported by ornate columns, and a massive wooden door with intricate carvings.

Ethan parked his car and made his way inside. The foyer was vast, with high ceilings and a sweeping staircase that led to the upper floors. Crystal chandeliers hung from the ceiling, casting a warm, inviting glow over the marble floors. The walls were adorned with tasteful artwork and elegant decor, reflecting Ethan's refined taste and success.

As he walked through the hall, he could hear the faint sound of classical music playing in the background. He followed the sound to the living room, where he found Claire, his fiancée, waiting for him. She was lounging on the plush sofa, wearing a new nightgown that accentuated her figure. Her long, dark hair was perfectly styled, and her eyes sparkled with a mix of impatience and expectation.

"You're home late," Claire said, her tone more accusatory than concerned.

Ethan forced a smile, though it didn't reach his eyes. "I had some things to take care of. How was your evening?"

Claire stood up and walked over to him, her movements graceful and deliberate. "Lonely, as usual," she replied, her voice dripping with sarcasm. "But I suppose that's to be expected when you're engaged to a workaholic."

Ethan sighed, feeling the familiar tension between them. "I'm sorry, Claire. There's just a lot going on right now."

Claire's eyes narrowed her expression hardening. "You always have an excuse, Ethan. Maybe you should start prioritizing your personal life for a change."

Ethan nodded, not wanting to escalate the argument. "You're right. Let's get some rest. Tomorrow is going to be a long day."

Claire huffed but didn't argue further. "Fine. But this conversation isn't over."

As Ethan climbed the grand staircase to his bedroom, his thoughts drifted back to Avalyn. The buried feelings he had tried so hard to suppress were rising to the surface, overwhelming him. He remembered the pain of their separation, the sleepless nights, and the endless days of trying to forget her. Those five years had been a torturous journey of heartache and longing.

Entering his bedroom, Ethan felt the weight of his emotions pressing down on him. The room was a sanctuary of luxury, with a king-sized bed, plush furnishings, and floor-to-ceiling windows that offered a breathtaking view of the city. Yet, despite the opulence, it felt empty.

He sat on the edge of the bed, running a hand through his hair. The thought of Avalyn brought a mix of warmth and sorrow. He knew he couldn't go through the agony of forgetting her again. The connection they shared was too deep, too profound to be erased.

Claire's voice broke through his reverie. "Ethan, are you coming to bed?"

He looked up, seeing her standing in the doorway, her expression a mix of impatience and concern. "Yeah, I'll be there in a minute," he replied, trying to mask the turmoil inside him.

As Claire turned away, Ethan knew he had to find a way to resolve the past. The truth about what happened in high school needed to come to light, not just for his sake, but for Avalyn's as well. He couldn't let the shadows of their past continue to haunt them.

Determined, he lay down beside Claire, his mind already planning the next steps. Ethan woke up in the middle of the night, his mind racing with thoughts of Avalyn. The worry gnawed at him, making it impossible to sleep. He quietly slipped out of bed, careful not to wake Claire, and made his way to the living room.

Sitting on the sofa, he pulled out his phone and typed a quick message to Avalyn: "Hey, are you alright? Just wanted to check in."

He stared at the screen for a moment before hitting send, then placed his phone on the nightstand and returned to bed. As he lay there, waiting for a reply, his mind continued to churn with memories and unresolved feelings.

A few minutes later, his phone buzzed. Claire, who had been lightly dozing, stirred and noticed the light from the phone. She picked it up and saw Avalyn's name on the screen. Her face twisted with jealousy and anger.

"Who's texting you in the middle of the night?" she demanded, her voice sharp.

Ethan sat up, startled. "It's just Avalyn. We were working on something together."

Claire's eyes narrowed, her voice rising. "Avalyn? The same Avalyn you were so close to in high school? Are you cheating on me with her?"

Ethan shook his head, trying to stay calm. "No, Claire. It's not like that. We're just trying to figure out what happened back then."

Claire's anger flared. "Don't lie to me, Ethan! I see the way you look when you talk about her. You're still in love with her, aren't you?"

Ethan took a deep breath, his patience wearing thin. "Claire, this isn't about us. It's about finding the truth. Avalyn and I are just trying to uncover what really happened."

But Claire wasn't listening. Her jealousy had turned into a full-blown rage. "I won't let you ruin everything we've built because of some high school fling! You need to choose, Ethan. It's either me or her."

Ethan felt a pang of guilt and frustration. He knew he couldn't abandon Avalyn, not when they were so close to uncovering the truth. But he also couldn't ignore Claire's feelings.

"Claire, please try to understand," he pleaded. "This is important. I need to see this through."

Claire's eyes filled with tears of anger and betrayal. "I can't believe you're doing this to me," she whispered before storming out of the room.