CHAPTER 4: PLUMMET

"AHH! THE SPORTS FESTIVAL!" Mina squealed, her excitement palpable as she hurriedly changed into her hero costume for Hero Lessons. Her eyes sparkled with anticipation, and her smile was infectious.

"It's coming up so quickly!" Uraraka shivered at the thought of facing her classmates in the intense competition, her hands trembling slightly as she adjusted her cuffs.

"I'm hoping I get recognised by some good pro heroes!" Yaoyorozu added, her voice filled with determination as she meticulously checked her utility belt, ensuring everything was in place.

"What about you, Y/N?" Hagakure asked, her invisible form still somehow managing to convey curiosity. The other girls turned their attention to me, their eyes filled with expectation.

"Oh, I don't know... a quirk like mine could go either way," I admitted, rubbing the back of my neck. The nerves were creeping up my spine, making my hands feel clammy as I tightened the laces of my corset. The thought of the tournament sent a wave of anxiety through me.

"Well, I'm sure a certain somebody is gonna be cheering you on~" Mina taunted, her laughter ringing through the locker room as well as the other girls' laughter . She handed me my mask, her eyes twinkling with mischief.

"I literally have no idea who you're talking about," I mumbled, pulling my corset tighter and feeling the heat rise to my cheeks. Mina's grin widened as she tied my corset strings into a pretty bow.

"Who else would we be talking about? Bakugo!" she giggled, and my face turned beet red. I quickly pulled my hood over my head, hoping to hide my embarrassment.

"Let me get this straight. All of you think that Bakugo has a thing for me?" I asked, incredulous, as I adjusted my mask and hood, trying to focus on anything but their probing gazes.

"Yeah," Mina said with a knowing smile.

"I thought it was obvious," Tsu added as she adjusted her goggles.

"He doesn't let anyone get THAT close to him," Uraraka pointed out, nodding in agreement. The girls all seemed to be on the same page, their certainty making my heart race even more.

I sighed, trying to compose myself. "I just... I don't see it. He's always so gruff and aggressive. How could that mean he likes me?"

"That's just how he is," Yaoyorozu explained gently. "We've all speculated that he shows his care in a different way. You've seen how he looks out for you, right? He doesn't do that for anyone else. Not even Midoriya and they've grown up together."

I thought back to the moments where Bakugo had shown unexpected concern for me. The way he walks with me to class, how we began training together, his occasional gruff comments that seemed to hide a hint of protectiveness. Okay, maybe they had a point.

"Okay, maybe," I admitted, feeling a strange mix of confusion and hope. "But even if he does, what am I supposed to do about it?"

"Umm...get with him?" Mina giggled, her eyes sparkling with mischief.

"WHAT?!" I screamed, utterly flabbergasted, my voice echoing through the locker room.

"Jokes, jokes!" Mina laughed, waving her hands to calm me down. "But seriously, we all thought you liked him since you're constantly with him," she said, slipping into her fluffy vest with a knowing smile.

"NO? We're barely even halfway through the first term of school," I sighed, feeling the weight of their assumptions. "I... like to get to know a person before deciding if I like them," I mumbled, my voice trailing off as I fidgeted with the edge of my hero costume.

Mina patted my shoulder reassuringly. "That's fair. Just take your time and see where things go."

I nodded, appreciating her support. The uncertainty still lingered, but maybe there was no rush. After all, getting to know Bakugo better could be the first step in figuring out my own feelings. Plus, I was in no mental state to be getting into a relationship, especially with him.