Chapter 1: The glimmering Facade.

ੈ✩‧₊˚|

The grand hall of the Monroe estate was a marvel of architectural brilliance. Every inch of the room was designed to exude wealth and power, from the towering marble columns to the intricately patterned mosaic floor that depicted scenes of classical mythology. The walls were adorned with portraits of the Monroe ancestors, their stern gazes following the guests as they mingled, reminding everyone of the family’s long-standing legacy.

The guests were a tapestry of society’s elite, dressed in the finest silks and satins, their jewels catching the light from the grand chandeliers above. The room hummed with the sounds of polite conversation, the clinking of crystal glasses, and the soft strains of a string quartet playing in the corner. It was a scene of perfection, carefully curated to uphold the Monroe family’s image.

Amelia Monroe stood near the entrance, her back straight, her posture impeccable. She had been trained since childhood to exude grace and poise, to be the perfect daughter of a perfect family. Her emerald-green gown shimmered under the chandeliers, its deep color a striking contrast to her alabaster skin. Her hair, as dark as midnight, was styled in an elaborate updo, with a few tendrils artfully escaping to frame her delicate features.

But despite the picture of elegance she presented, Amelia felt like an outsider in her own home. She watched the guests with a keen eye, noting their practiced smiles, their shallow laughter, and the way they carefully chose their words to maintain the thin veneer of civility. It was a world she had been born into, but one she had never truly belonged to.

Her mother, Lillian Monroe, glided through the crowd like a queen holding court. Lillian was a striking woman, with high cheekbones and a regal bearing that commanded attention. Her silver-gray hair was swept back in a sophisticated chignon, and her ice-blue gown flowed behind her like a river of silk. Lillian was the epitome of high society—beautiful, composed, and utterly impenetrable.

“Amelia,” Lillian’s voice broke through her thoughts, soft yet carrying the weight of command. “Smile, darling. You look far too serious.”

Amelia forced a smile, the muscles in her face straining under the effort. “Of course, Mother.”

Lillian’s gaze lingered on her daughter for a moment, her expression unreadable. “Remember, appearances are everything. We mustn’t let the guests think we’re anything less than perfect.”

With that, Lillian moved on to greet another guest, her smile as flawless as the diamonds that adorned her neck. Amelia watched her go, her heart sinking with the weight of her mother’s expectations. She had always felt like a disappointment to Lillian, never quite measuring up to the high standards set for her. Her mother’s words were a constant reminder of the role she was expected to play, the image she was supposed to maintain.

As the evening wore on, Amelia felt more and more suffocated by the stifling atmosphere. The conversations around her were meaningless, filled with empty compliments and idle gossip. She longed to escape, to find a place where she could breathe, where she didn’t have to pretend to be someone she wasn’t.

Her eyes scanned the room, searching for her sister, Isabelle. Isabelle was the Monroe family’s golden child, the one who had always lived up to their mother’s expectations. With her golden hair and angelic smile, Isabelle was everything Amelia was not—obedient, dutiful, and perfectly molded to fit the family’s ideals.

Amelia spotted Isabelle across the room, surrounded by a group of admirers. She was laughing at something one of the young men had said, her eyes sparkling with a light that seemed almost genuine. But Amelia knew better. She had seen the cracks in Isabelle’s perfect facade, the way her smile faltered when she thought no one was watching, the sadness that lingered in her eyes when she was alone.