Chapter 48

Amelia's POV:-

We were sitting on a blanket by the lake shore, the gentle lapping of the water providing a soothing backdrop to the evening.

The air was cool, but the warmth from Ian's presence beside me kept the chill at bay.

The intensity in his eyes had me captivated, and the way he looked at me made sparks erupt through my entire body. I could feel the tension between us, thick and tangible, as if the night itself was charged with the weight of our unspoken words.

It was a sensation that gripped me, one I felt in my bones, making my pulse race and my thoughts scatter. My heart pounded in my chest as we sit there, the world outside fading away, leaving only the two of us in this charged moment.

But just as the tension reached a boiling point, my phone buzzed in my pocket, snapping me back to reality.

I blinked, breaking the eye contact that had held me captive, and pulled out my phone.

It was a message from Chris.

Chris: Just talked to Dad. He's positive we'll find a lead on Giuliana soon.

The words on the screen sent a cold rush through me, instantly dousing the fire that had been building inside.

The mention of Giuliana, the reminder of the unresolved pieces of my past, brought everything crashing back down.

I glanced up at Ian, trying to shake off the sudden heaviness that had settled over me, but he had already noticed the shift in my mood.

His eyes, sharp and attentive, studied me with a concern that made me feel exposed.

"Belle," he started cautiously, his voice a mix of curiosity and worry.

"Is something wrong?"I forced a playful smile, not wanting to drag him into the mess that was my life.

"No, nothing. Just a message from Chris. It's not a big deal."

But Ian wasn't convinced.

His expression grew more serious as he inched closer, his presence enveloping me.

"You don't have to go through problems alone," he said, his tone gentle but firm.

"You can share with me, you know. I'm here." His words were sincere, filled with a depth of understanding that I hadn't expected. For a moment, I was tempted to open up, to tell him everything that was weighing on me. But the thought of it made my chest tighten with uncertainty.

I looked down at the ground, trying to gather my thoughts, before finally nodding.

"I... I'll need some time to adjust to this," I admitted, my voice barely above a whisper.

"To you being in my life like this." Ian reached out, his hand resting lightly on my shoulder, a touch that was both comforting and reassuring.

"Take all the time you need," he said softly.

"I'm not going anywhere."

His words settled over me like a warm blanket, easing some of the tension I felt.

I knew he meant it.

He was here, ready to stand by me, and that thought alone made the burden of my worries feel a little lighter.

But still, I couldn't ignore the storm of emotions swirling inside me. I needed time to figure things out, to navigate the complicated feelings I had for him, and the even more complicated situation with my past.

As we sit there in the quiet night, I realized that this was just the beginning-of something new, something unexpected, and maybe even something I had been longing for all along.