1. New place, new start

*Cyno's POV*

I was packing the last of my belongings into my suitcase, getting ready to leave home. I can't believe how quickly time has flown by. Seriously. I swear, it feels like just yesterday I was 15, taking my middle school exams, applying to high school, and attending technical school. And now? I’m standing in my room, most of my things gone, and my closet half-empty. I'll miss this place a bit; my room has always been an integral part of me. But now, I have to leave it behind because this is the start of a new chapter in my life called "College."

Of course, my room isn’t the only thing I’ll be leaving behind. I'll have to say goodbye to Dehya and Candace, my friends from high school. Unfortunately, fate decided to take us down completely different paths as we chose different fields of study. But it's not all bad news because I’ve teamed up with Kaveh and Alhaitham, and we’ll be attending the same school. The only difference is that we’ll be in different classes since we chose different majors, but I don’t think that will be a problem. Besides, I can always joke with them about how different our life paths are. For example: "Why do an engineer and a lawyer never meet on the stairs? Because one is climbing the career ladder while the other... is going down the slippery slope of law." Anyway, back to packing. I was pondering what else I could pack when my mom's voice snapped me out of my thoughts:

- Cyno! Are you still alive up there? Hurry up, we’re leaving soon! - She called from downstairs.

- No worries, Mom - I replied and then made probably the driest joke I've ever made in my would-be comedy career.

- The dead worry, not the living! - Come on... Tell me that was at least a little funny. I can't believe you didn’t even smile!

- You and your jokes... Get down here, you lazy bum - My mom scolded me jokingly.

I grabbed my purple duffel bag and two suitcases, then headed downstairs, where my parents were already ready to go. My dad took the car keys and walked out of the house, and I followed him to load my stuff into the trunk. I got into the car in the back seat while my parents sat in the front. Dad entered the name of my college into the GPS on his phone, and we set off. I must admit, the journey felt exceptionally long, but no wonder, since Auru Village is quite far from the Akademiya in Sumeru City.

- How long have we been driving? - I asked, bored.

- Only 45 minutes. - Dad replied, to which I sighed grumpily.

- 45 minutes? - I said, trying not to fall asleep. - That means just about... 300 more jokes and we’ll be there. -

- Cyno, for god’s sake, say just one more word, and I promise you, I’ll drop you off in the middle of nowhere. - My dad shot back. His words made me burst out laughing. I couldn’t help it, but I still did that anyway.

- Alright... You know this car really likes us, don’t you? - I said with feigned seriousness.

- Cyno... - My mom began, but I cut her off with:

- Because it always pulls us along. - My dad looked at me like he was about to disown me, and his face clearly said, "I have no son" while I erupted in laughter, satisfied with my joke.

*  *  *

After three and a half hours, I finally arrived. I said goodbye to my parents, and although I don’t like to talk about my feelings, I have to admit that I felt a tear in my eye at that moment. I watched the black Mercedes drive away, then turned toward the school... The Akademiya? It was massive.

- That’s one colossal building... - I thought. I snapped out of it when I heard a familiar voice.

- Cyno! We’re over here! - called a blonde with red eyes.