Language Watch

Conjunction
-a word which connects two words or clauses or sentences and shows the relation between them.
-used to avoid making the text seem like bulket points and to make the text flow.

Example:

* Rob saw a dog on the road. He decided to adopt the dog. Rob brought the dog home.

*Rob saw a dog on the road and decided to adopt the dog, so he brought the dog home.

Coordinating Conjunctions
- used to link or join two words or phrases that are equally important and complete in terms of grammar when compared with each other.
-the sentences or words do not depend on anything to give themselves meaning.

For
And
Nor
But
Or
Yet
So

-these are always placed between two clauses or word they're joining.

Example:

Jordan does not want doughnut. Jordan does not want croissant.- Jordan does not want doughnut or croissant.

Here, we see how 'or' was used to combine the two words and make a cohesive sentence using them. Also, notice how the 'or' is between the two words.

Subordinating Conjunctions
-used to join an independent and conplete with a dependent clause that relies on the main clause for meaning and relevancr. The dependent clause cannot exist on its own as a sentence and often does not sense without the main clause.
-it always comes before the dependent clause but itself can be placed either ahead of or following the independent clause.

Example:

Since they had misbehaved, the boys were given one week suspensions from school.

We see the dependent clause is 'they had misbehaved' which is not a valid sentence by itself.

The independent main clause is 'the boys were given one week suspensions from school'.

They are joined by the subordinating conjunction 'since'.

Other subordinating conjunction are- because,although, as, before, once, though, until, whether, etc.

Correlative Conjunctions
-are sinply pairs of conjunctions used in a sentence to join different words or groups of words in a sentence together.
-not used to link sentences themselves, instead they link two or more words of equal importance within the sentence itself.

Example:

*Both the shoes and the dress were completely overpriced.

As you can see in this sentence, the 'shoes' and the 'dress' were equally important elements that needed to be given the same importance.

Parenthetical Expression
-an expression which is inserted into the flow of thought. It may be in the middle of a sentence or between sentences, but does not directly deak with the topic at hand.
-set off by commas, parentheses and dashes.

Adverb
- word or set of words that modifies verbs, adjrctives, or other adverbs.

Examples:
He speaks slowly(modifies the verb speaks)
He is especially clever(modifies the adjective clever)
He speaks all too slowly(modifies the adverb slowly)

-it answers how, when, where, or to what extent- how often or how much.