Chapter 25: Facing Consequences

Michelle's POV

I woke up to the sound of rain tapping against the window, a rhythmic, soothing noise that momentarily blurred the lines between dreams and reality. For a brief second, I hoped that everything I had done, everything I had become, was just a nightmare—a figment of my imagination that would dissolve with the morning light. But as soon as I opened my eyes, reality crashed down on me with the weight of a thousand regrets.

The remnants of last night's storm were still scattered around my apartment—clothes tossed aside, furniture slightly askew, a testament to my restless pacing as I replayed the events in my mind over and over again. My throat was dry, parched from the endless stream of tears I'd shed. I could feel the weight of the world pressing down on me, but I was too numb to care. I had crossed a line, one that I could never uncross, and now there was no going back.

I dragged myself out of bed, my body heavy with exhaustion, and made my way to the bathroom. The reflection that greeted me in the mirror was haunting. My eyes were bloodshot, the dark circles beneath them so prominent they looked like bruises. My skin was pale, almost sickly, and my hair hung limply around my face. I looked like a ghost—a shadow of the person I once was.

But it wasn't just my appearance that had changed. Something inside me had shifted too, something fundamental. The anger that had driven me to take revenge, the burning desire for justice that had fueled my every move, had been replaced by a cold, empty void. I had thought that killing Matthew and his parents would bring me peace, that it would give me some semblance of closure. But instead, it had only left me feeling more hollow than ever.

I turned on the faucet, splashing cold water on my face in a desperate attempt to wake up, to snap out of this fog that had settled over me. But it did little to help. The water dripped from my chin, pooling in the sink, and I watched it swirl down the drain, disappearing into the darkness below. I wished I could do the same—just disappear, be swallowed up by the void, and never have to face the consequences of my actions.

But I couldn't run from what I had done. Not anymore. The thought of what awaited me—what I would have to face—made my stomach churn with a sickening dread. I had to answer for my sins, and deep down, I knew that there was no escaping it.

I heard a knock at the door, and my heart skipped a beat. I wasn't expecting anyone, and the thought of facing someone—anyone—right now sent a wave of panic through me. But the knocking persisted, and I knew I couldn't ignore it forever. My legs felt like lead as I made my way to the door, each step heavier than the last.

When I opened the door, I found Detective Ramos standing there, his expression grim. His eyes, which had once held a flicker of compassion, were now hard and unreadable. He didn't say anything at first, just stood there, his hands in his pockets as he looked at me with an intensity that made my skin crawl.

"Michelle," he finally said, his voice low and steady. "We need to talk."

I stepped aside, letting him enter the apartment. He glanced around, taking in the disarray, the mess that mirrored the chaos inside my mind. The silence between us was thick, suffocating, and I could feel the weight of his scrutiny, the unspoken questions hanging in the air.

He turned to face me, his expression unreadable. "The explosion at the Collins estate... We've been investigating it."

I swallowed hard, my throat tight. Of course, they were investigating it. Matthew and his parents were high-profile figures; their deaths wouldn't go unnoticed. But what could I say? That I had planned it all out, that I wanted them to pay for what they did to Bella and Bethany? That I thought it would bring me peace, but all it did was leave me more empty and alone than ever?