Chapter 22: The Confrontation with Matthew ⚠️

Warning ⚠️- Murder

Michelle's POV

The cold night air bites at my skin as I walk away from the warehouse, but I barely feel it. My mind is racing, a whirlwind of thoughts and emotions that I can't seem to control. I did it. I killed him. The man who destroyed everything I loved, who took Bella and Bethany from me, is finally dead. But why doesn't it feel like victory?

I force myself to keep moving, my footsteps echoing in the empty streets. Every sound seems amplified, every shadow more sinister. I can't stay here. I need to leave, to disappear before anyone finds out what I've done. But where can I go? What's left for me now?

As I walk, my mind drifts back to the moment it all started—the moment I realized I couldn't just sit back and let Matthew get away with his crimes. It was after the police closed the case, after they told me there wasn't enough evidence to bring him to justice. I knew then that I had to take matters into my own hands. I couldn't let him walk free, not after everything he'd done.

But as I look down at my bloodstained hands, I can't help but wonder if I've become just like him. A killer. A monster. Is this what Bella and Bethany would have wanted? Would they be proud of me for avenging them, or horrified at what I've done?

I shake my head, trying to push those thoughts away. It's too late for regrets now. What's done is done. All that matters is that Matthew is gone, and he can never hurt anyone again.

But as I round the corner, my heart stops. Standing there, at the entrance to the alley, is a figure—a man, tall and broad-shouldered, with a face that sends a jolt of fear through my veins. It's Matthew.

No. It can't be. I killed him. I saw him fall, saw the life drain from his eyes. This has to be a nightmare, a trick of my exhausted mind. But as he steps closer, I can see the cold, familiar glint in his eyes, the same one that haunted my dreams for so long.

"Michelle," he says, his voice dripping with malice, "you didn't think it would be that easy, did you?"

I stumble back, my mind racing to make sense of what I'm seeing. "You're dead," I whisper, my voice shaking. "I killed you."

He chuckles, the sound low and menacing. "You tried. But you didn't finish the job."

Panic grips me as I realize the truth—somehow, he survived. I failed. And now, he's here, alive and angrier than ever. I reach for the gun in my waistband, but my hands are trembling so badly I can barely grip it. "Stay back," I warn, my voice barely above a whisper.

He doesn't listen. He takes another step closer, his eyes locked on mine. "You're just like the others, Michelle. Weak. Pathetic. You think you can play this game, but you don't have what it takes."

His words cut through me like a knife, but I force myself to stand my ground. I've come this far. I can't let him win now. "You're wrong," I say, my voice stronger this time. "I'm not afraid of you anymore."

He smirks, as if amused by my defiance. "We'll see about that."

In a flash, he lunges at me, and I barely have time to react. I raise the gun, squeezing the trigger, but he's too fast. He knocks the weapon from my hand, sending it skittering across the pavement. Before I can recover, he grabs me by the throat, slamming me against the wall.

Pain explodes through my skull as I hit the brick, and for a moment, everything goes black. When my vision clears, I'm staring into his cold, dead eyes, his hand tightening around my neck.

"You're just like them, Michelle," he hisses, his voice filled with venom. "Weak. Stupid. You should have stayed in your place."

I gasp for air, my hands clawing at his arm as I struggle to break free. But he's too strong, his grip unyielding. Spots dance in front of my eyes as my lungs scream for oxygen, and I know I'm running out of time.

Summoning every ounce of strength I have left, I drive my knee up into his groin. He grunts in pain, his grip loosening just enough for me to shove him away. I stumble forward, gasping for breath, my vision swimming.

I see the gun, lying a few feet away, and I dive for it, my fingers closing around the cold metal. But before I can raise it, he's on me again, knocking me to the ground. The impact knocks the wind out of me, and I feel his weight pressing down on my chest, his hands wrapping around my throat once more.

"Did you really think you could win?" he sneers, his face inches from mine. "Did you think you could outsmart me?"

I can't breathe, can't think. The world is closing in around me, darkness creeping in at the edges of my vision. But I can't let it end like this. Not after everything I've been through.

With a desperate surge of strength, I reach up, grabbing his face and digging my nails into his eyes. He screams, recoiling in pain, and I use the moment to shove him off me. I scramble to my feet, grabbing the gun and pointing it at him.

But before I can pull the trigger, he lunges at me again. The gun goes off, the sound deafening in the narrow alley, but I don't know if I hit him. We're both on the ground now, struggling for control of the weapon.

His hands close around my wrist, trying to twist the gun from my grip. I fight back, refusing to let go, but he's stronger, more determined. The barrel of the gun swings wildly between us, and I know that if I lose control, it's all over.

With one last desperate effort, I twist my body, using his momentum against him. The gun goes off again, and this time, I feel the impact as the bullet finds its mark. He jerks back, his eyes wide with shock as he clutches his chest, blood pouring from the wound.

For a moment, he just stares at me, disbelief etched across his face. Then, slowly, he slumps to the ground, his eyes glazing over as the life drains from his body.

I don't move. I can't. I just stare at him, at the man who took everything from me, lying dead at my feet. The silence is deafening, the weight of what I've done crashing down on me all at once.

It's over. It's really over this time. But as I stand there, the gun still clutched in my trembling hands, I don't feel relief. I don't feel anything.

I drop the gun, my legs giving out beneath me as I collapse to the ground. The tears come then, hot and fast, and I don't try to stop them. I just sit there, sobbing in the dark, the enormity of what I've done finally sinking in.

I killed him. I killed the man who took everything from me. But in doing so, I've lost myself. I don't know who I am anymore, or if I'll ever be able to find my way back.

All I know is that it's over. The nightmare is finally over. But as I sit there in the darkness, I can't help but wonder if it's too late to save what's left of my soul.