Fighting Demons

THE NEXT DAY.......

JACE P.O.V.*

Me and the girls were sitting around the fire in the backyard drinking and waiting for these niggas to come back

Me and the girls were sitting around the fire in the backyard drinking and waiting for these niggas to come back. I was angry as fuck at them for leaving in the middle of the night like that and to not even give us a heads up on where they goin?? Typical shit they would pull.

Kendra and I were cordial but we weren't talking like we were best friends.

Maria: WHEW!

She says making a sour face after taking her shot. She passes the bottle to me and I pour it in my shot glass and quickly throw it back.

Kendra: ooo shit! The Jace I knew could never take a shot like that.

We all laugh.

Jace: Yea alots changed.

It gets awkwardly silent.

Maria: So when y'all gon squash this shit for real?

I stayed silent cause I'm not the one with the problem. I look over at Kendra. She deep sighs and looks at me.

Kendra: I'm sorry Jace....I really am! I- I was jealous.

Jace: For what???

I was genuinely curious. I need to know.

Jace: You already had EVERYTHING?? Deleon gets you whatever you want, you had the clothes the jewelry?? You're gorgeous.........why'd you keep doggin me out like that?

Kendra sighs.

Kendra: I was jealous Jay.....still jealous. You came from a loving family. Parents that ACTUALLY cared about you. Mariah never loved me and Ruby like that...she only had us cause she thought it would keep a man.  You were always like a bonus little sister. Then you got with East and...

Maria: Well what bitch!?

Maria didn't say it in a mean way more like a homegirl way.

Kendra: Then he was taking you places, he moved you out the hood, he married you, he kept you happy.

Jace: Ken what are you talkin bout? D did the same thing for you?

Kendra: Except marry me! Even when after I had Angel STILL no ring and years after he never asked! East met you and he didn't hesitate. And everything else took forever.

She says falling back into her chair.

Maria & I looked at her lost as fuck.

Kendra: For years he was constantly stacking and we had nothing to show for it. We were in those ghetto ass apartments and I still had to raise a baby in that ghetto ass neighborhood. I wanted to raise him like how you raised Kailee a big ass house a nice school like this.

She raises her hand towards the house.

Jace: But he did move you out the hood!

Maria: And Angel was so young he doesn't even remember that old ass apartment!