Chapter 6

Detective Anna Ramirez stood in her office, the tension in the room so thick it felt like it might choke her. Her partner, Mike Kowalski, paced back and forth in front of her desk, his face flushed with anger. She could see the vein in his temple throbbing, a clear sign that he was about to blow.

"You've got to be out of your goddamn mind, Anna!" Mike finally exploded, slamming his hands down on the desk. "Working with that vigilante? Do you even realize what you've done? This could ruin you! Hell, it could ruin both of us!"

Anna clenched her jaw, her fists tightening at her sides as she struggled to keep her temper in check. "I know what I'm doing, Mike. And I'm not apologizing for it. We saved Emily. That girl is alive because of what we did."

Mike's eyes flashed with fury as he leaned in closer. "And what happens when Internal Affairs gets wind of this? You think they're just going to let it slide? You're playing with fire, Anna! You're risking everything!"

She couldn't hold back any longer. "I don't give a shit about my career!" she shouted, her voice echoing through the office. "This is bigger than that, Mike! It's about doing what's right, about saving those kids! Do you really think I care about my badge when there are people out there making snuff films with children?"

Mike recoiled slightly, taken aback by the intensity in her voice. For a moment, there was only the sound of their heavy breathing, the argument hanging in the air like a dark cloud. Finally, Mike shook his head, his voice softening.

"Look," he said, his tone less confrontational now, "I'm not saying you're wrong. What we did... it saved that girl. And I'm glad she's safe. But this... this isn't the way to do it. You know that, Anna. You can't go around working with a vigilante like this. It's too dangerous, and it's going to catch up with you."

Anna took a deep breath, trying to steady her emotions. "I know the risks, Mike. But I've made my choice. If it comes back to bite me, so be it. But at least I'll know I did something that mattered. I'm not going to sit back and watch while kids like Emily suffer because the system is too slow, too corrupt to help them."

Mike looked at her, his expression torn between admiration and concern. "You're a damn good cop, Anna. But you're playing a dangerous game here. Just... be careful, okay?"

She nodded, her resolve unwavering. "I will be. But I'm not backing down."

The conversation ended, the tension between them lingering but dulled by a shared understanding. They both knew the stakes, but for Anna, the choice was clear. She would rather risk everything to save the innocent than live with the knowledge that she did nothing.

Meanwhile, Jason, the vigilante known only in the shadows found himself in a dark place. The horrors he had uncovered, the things he had heard from that vile pimp, haunted him. He had always known there were monsters in the world, but this... this was something beyond anything he had ever imagined.

The snuff ring was bigger, more insidious, than he had realized. It wasn't just a few sick individuals—it was an entire network, protected by wealth, power, and corruption. And every time he thought he was getting closer, the trail went cold, leaving him with nothing but more questions and a growing sense of despair.

He spent his nights obsessively searching for leads, combing through the darkest corners of the deep web, trying to find anything that could point him in the right direction. But it felt like he was drowning in an ocean of filth, and the more he searched, the more hopeless it all seemed.

Then one night, his phone buzzed, snapping him out of his thoughts. It was Ramirez.

"Meet me at the pier," she said, her voice tense. "There's something you need to see."