Chapter 1~ Home Sweet Home

You know how mothers are supposed to care for their children, learn about them, and accept their differences? Well, our mother, Mivica, did not do that. Or rather, she couldn't do that. So she sent us away to live with Aunt Milvica. But I can't tell if living with her is better in comparison as our mother and aunt are both emotionally unhealthy to be around.
I'm Krystal and I live with my guarded and somewhat acrimonious sister Pluto and our controlling aunt, Milvica. Or as we like to call her, Mrs. Proper.
Mrs. Proper is the type of woman who would tell you everything that you're doing wrong. Whether you were wearing your hair a certain way or showing bodily autonomy. She just needed to correct it or cry, woe is me.
Pluto and I had just gotten home from school and the fireplace was already lit so we took off our shoes and sat down on the mat in front of it. The warmth of the flames put me at ease after having a stressful day.
"How are you really feeling after what happened earlier?" Pluto asked me. Oh. That was on my mind. Earlier at the library on campus when I was putting my notebooks in my bag, my classmate Ivan kept talking to me after I explicitly told him that I'm busy and don't want to be bothered. Then he had the audacity to have an attitude with me when I ignored him.
I sighed.
"I seriously think you should tell the professor, though." Pluto said with a gentle tone.
"I don't know. I might."
She reached out to hug me and I happily embraced her.
"He's not going to do anything. He's weak minded. I will protect you if he does."
That was true.
"I love you Pluto." I said, still hugging her.
"I love you too, Krystal."
There was a creak from the staircase. Has Aunt Milvica been listening to us? The flame flickered in the fireplace. We waited to hear more noises but there weren't any. "We should go to bed." Pluto whispered. I nodded in agreement.

Later that night, I tossed and turned. Once again dreaming of nonsensical scenes on a loop. One particular recurring dream was of a deer watching me through my bedroom window. It's always by the tree, staring silently at me before getting its neck snapped by the jaws of a wolf, its squeal reverberating in my head.
I woke up in a cold sweat, with strands of my curly hair stuck to my face. I decided to get some fresh air. I quietly made my way downstairs, careful not to wake up my aunt and sister. When I got outside, I took a deep breath. I have a habit of ruminating over my dreams. They are like puzzles to me, yet I can never figure them out.
I was greeted by a doe. Despite my initial shock, her demeanor was unwavering. All I could do was stare at her.
"Excuse me," the doe said softly. "I didn't mean to startle you. Do you have a moment to talk?" She nodded towards the trees and said, "I'll explain in there, I don't want us to be heard."
That got my attention. I looked back at the house. The lights were off so I took that as an opportunity to go with her.
"What's your name?" I asked her, stepping deeper into the forest. Her ears wriggled in acknowledgment as she continued to look straight ahead. "Fawny. And I know who you are." She replied. I heard small chittering and creaking branches. Surprisingly, I felt safe walking with her.
"Oh? How do you know me?" I asked.
"From our shared dreams." Fawny stopped walking and turned towards me. "See?"
We were at the spot she died at in my dream. I heard strange whispers around us, but when I looked in its direction, it stopped. "Hello?" I called out. No response. "Don't pay them any mind and never stray off the path without protection." Fawny told me.
I looked at her in astonishment. "This place, this forest is not what you think, Krystal." Huh?
"Then why bring me out here?" I asked her.
"Because staying there is worse. Your house isn't safe."