Chapter 5

Katherine sat next to Bellamy while he bandaged his sister's wound. Octavia let out a painful hiss. "What the hell was it?" Bellamy spoke up. "I don't know. The others said it looked like a giant snake", Octavia said. "Yeah, a giant snake that tried to kill you." Katherine huffed. "You could have been killed", Bellamy repeated.

          Clarke marched up to the three. "She would have been if Jasper didn't jump in to pull her out", she said. "You guys leaving? I'm coming too" Octavia eagerly began to stand but Bellamy held her arm down. "No, no way. Not again," he said sternly as he stood up. "He's right. Your leg's just gonna slow us down", Clarke said, turning to Bellamy. "I'm here for you." "Clarke, what are you doing?" Wells said. "I hear you have a gun", Clarke looked to Bellamy. He stared at her for moment before he looked down and discreetly lifted his shirt to reveal a gun tucked into his belt. "Good, follow me. Katherine, you too", Clarke ordered as she walked off.

          Katherine jumped up and slung her backpack over her shoulder. Bellamy raised a tensed arm in front of her. "And why would I do that?" He said to Clarke. Katherine scoffed, sending a glare up at him. "Because you want them to follow you", Clarke tilted her head towards the camp. "And right now, they're thinking only one of us is scared. And as for her, I need someone I actually like to come" Clarke again turned and strode off, Wells trailing after her like a lost puppy.

        "Murphy, come with me" Bellamy said gruffly. "Atom. My sister doesn't leave this camp. Is that clear?" Bellamy commanded the boy standing behind him as he slipped on his worn jacket. "I don't need a babysitter", Octavia complained. "Anybody touches her, they answer to me. Let's go," Bellamy said to Katherine and Murphy as he stomped off. Octavia started to follow but Atom yanked her back. Katherine turned to smile at her best friend. As much as she wished to stay, saving Jasper was her main priority.

          Katherine trotted after the clearly taller and faster boys. "Since when are we in the rescuing business, huh?" Murphy grumbled. "The Ark thinks the prince is dead. Once they think the princess is too, they'll never come down". Bellamy spoke, maybe a bit too loud as Clarke scowled over her shoulder at him. "I'm getting that wristband, even if I have to cut off her hand to do it." Bellamy grunted lowly. He and Murphy strutted ahead while the short girl sped up to a jog to keep up. "How charming", Katherine panted to herself.

         The three stragglers caught up to Clarke and Wells. "Hey, hold up. What's the rush? You don't survive a spear through the heart." Bellamy said with a half-smirk, waving the gun around. Katherine grimaced. She hated the way he spoke as if Jasper was dead. Yet, she knew he could be right. "Put the gun away Bellamy", Wells countered with annoyance. "Well, why don't you do something about it, huh?" Murphy shoved the boy, who turned and stared at him, anger boiling inside his chest. "Jasper screamed when they moved him. If the spear struck his heart, he'd have died instantly. It doesn't mean we have time to waste," Clarke said.

         "As soon as you take this wristband off, we can go," Bellamysaid smirked, grabbing Clarke's wrist. She yanked it away and stepped up, toe-to-toe with the curly headed boy. "The only way the Ark is gonna think I'm dead is if I'm dead. Got it?" She spat. "Brave princess", Bellamy sneered at her. "Hey! Why don't you find your own nickname?" Finn said, unexpectedly walking up behind the group. "You call this a rescue party? Got to split up, cover more ground. Clarke, come with me." He continued, leading her away. Bellamy started walking again, tucking the gun back into his belt. Katherine straightened her lips into a line and continued quietly following the boy.

         "Guess we got more in common than meets the eye, huh?" Bellamy asked Wells, pulling his attention from the blonde girl walking in front of him. Katherine looked up at him, curious. "We have nothing in common", Wells mumbled. "No? Both came down here to protect someone we love", Bellamy sighed. "Your secret's safe with me. Course, for you it's worse. With Finn around, Clarke doesn't even see you. It's like you're not even here" Wells watched him walk away with a solemn frown. "You must really like her. You know, since you followed her down here." Katherine said. "Yeah, i guess", Wells looked down. Katherine gave a sympathetic smile and jogged away after Bellamy.