4

Ayna

I rushed into the guestroom Ayden had shown me, mortified by the fact that I'd been caught gawking at him.

That wasn't my plan, but it just sort of happened. Everything about him felt weirdly surreal—he's just so... him.

His tattoos, his biceps, his entire presence is downright drool-worthy.

The first time I saw him was when I went to meet Xavier.
I was waiting outside his office when my eyes locked onto his stormy gray ones from across the room.
I guess that is where his nickname comes from

In that moment, it felt like the world stopped, and we were the only two people in it.

My gaze shamelessly raked over him, taking in every detail—the little scar over his right eyebrow, the t-shirt clinging to his biceps, decorated with intricate tattoos.

Okay so i might have thing for biceps and tattoos
Sue me

Even his tattoos were gorgeous. I realized I was blatantly checking him out, and he must have noticed.

I forced my eyes back to his, expecting to see an arrogant smirk or to catch him looking away.

Instead, I found him doing the same.

As our eyes met again, a rosy flush colored his cheeks, but before we could exchange a word, Xavier appeared, and I had to leave.

I glanced back over my shoulder, offering him a small smile, which he returned with a bashful scratch at the back of his neck.

It was like seeing someone extremely attractive at an airport, knowing you'd never see them again, so you just take them in like eye candy.

I sound like a 55-year-old pervert.

I snapped myself out of my thoughts, reminding myself why he was doing all this.

Xavier and him were close friends, and of course, he was going to take good care of me because Adler asked him to.

I doubt he even remembers our encounter.

I sighed, feeling a twinge of disappointment. To think we could've had something was downright stupid.

Plus, I'm sure he has a girlfriend.

It's not like I'm going to be alive much longer anyway.

Okay dramatic much
Intrusive thoughts are so humbling.

Reality crashed back down on me, reminding me how inappropriate my thoughts had been.

My life was in danger, I had a stalker, and here I was fantasizing about someone who was only trying to help.

I probably made him uncomfortable by being weird.

I jump when a knock sounded at the door, making me yelp.

Loud sudden noises scare me

The door flew open, and I found myself staring into his eyes, now clouded with concern and anger.

That anger made me want to disappear.

"Are you okay?" he asked, his eyes scanning the room as if searching for threats.

"Yes, sorry, the knock just scared me. I'm sorry for worrying you," I mumbled, looking down in embarrassment .

Gently, he rested his palm on my cheek, tilting my head up so our eyes met. His other hand brushed a stray lock of hair behind my ear.

Butterflies.

Shut up.

It can't be part of his job to tuck hair behind ears, right?

"It's alright. I'm sorry for scaring you," he said, giving me a small smile. I should've said something, but it took too much effort to pull my focus away from his eyes.

"Food's ready. Let's go," he said, letting go of my cheek. Instinctively, I reached out for his hand.

Both of us froze as our hands touched. We made eye contact, his eyes widening slightly. Before I could pull away, he gently closed his fingers around mine.

A giddy feeling spread through me.

His tense body relaxed as we walked to the kitchen island. He pulled out a barstool for me, and I took it while he sat across from me.

"Eat," he said, pushing a bowl of ramen toward me before grabbing his own.

"Thank you," I said softly, offering him a small smile.

For a moment, I could've sworn I saw his eyes soften.

But just as quickly, his expression returned to normal, and he simply nodded.

We finished our food in silence. After putting the dishes in the dishwasher, he walked me to the room where I'd be sleeping. This time, we didn't hold hands, and I blamed myself for the awkward energy.

We said goodnight, and he retreated to his room. I went to mine, collapsing face-first onto the bed.

Embarrassment and fear battled in my mind.

Embarrassment won.

Ugh.

A/N
I've changed Adler's name to Xavier so if you find it as Adler somewhere pls comment so i can edit it

Muah