Untitled Part 63: Turning Back Time

The worst had happened the moment they entered the capital. Neven's heart was heavy. Though he had anticipated this moment, actually facing it brought a deep sense of unease and guilt. To save Aria, he had made a decision that went against his orders. He knew exactly what that meant—he was destined to pay the price.

One-eyed Quinn regarded them coldly, his gaze sharp as an ice pick. Without mercy, he ordered his men to bring Neven, Alexander, and Aria to the iron gates. The Lunarshade guards swiftly confiscated Neven and Alexander's weapons. As the hilt slipped from his grip, Neven felt a wave of loss and pain surge through him, overwhelming in its intensity.

"You have no right to do this!" Alexander shouted, his voice filled with impotent fury. Neven remained silent, his eyes fixed on the stone pavement beneath him. He knew this was not just about authority—it was his unavoidable fate.

Quinn's face was expressionless as he gestured for the soldiers to take them away. "Neven's desertion is a direct violation of the Lunar Essence Clan's laws. You will explain everything before the Lunar King." His tone was cold and unforgiving, as though the judgment had already been delivered.

As they were escorted towards the dungeon, Neven kept his head down, fists clenched. Every step felt like walking on the edge of a blade, the pain inescapable. Aria silently followed behind, searching for some solace in Neven's posture, but all she found was an endless silence and a heavy burden.

When they were thrown into the deepest cell, the stone door slammed shut, plunging them into complete darkness. The void swallowed them whole. Neven leaned against the cold stone wall, his breathing gradually calming. He knew this was the end he had always foreseen.

Alexander clenched his fists, unable to hold back any longer. "Why didn't you fight back? Why didn't you say anything?" His voice trembled with a mix of confusion and anger.

After a brief silence, Neven spoke slowly, "During the trial, I will confess to all my crimes. The Lunar King will punish only me. You need to stay silent—do not defend me."

"There's no other way, Neven?" Aria asked anxiously.

Neven remained quiet, only shaking his head. He knew that nothing he said could change the facts. Desertion was an unforgivable crime, and he had to bear the consequences. But at this moment, his primary concern was the safety of Aria and Alexander.

Time passed slowly and painfully in the dungeon, with night finally falling, the darkness growing ever thicker. It was then that the silence of the cell was broken by the sound of soft footsteps approaching from the depths of the darkness.

The three of them froze, their hearts pounding, as they stared into the black void. A tall figure gradually emerged, the torchlight revealing a face aged yet imposing, with a Soul Stone glowing faintly on the back of his hand—it was Sage Solon.

Neven's heart sank. He knew the real trial was about to begin.

Sage Solon's eyes, filled with disappointment, swept over the cell before finally resting on Neven. The pain in his gaze revealed how much the elder's trust in him had been shattered.

Neven, under his stern gaze, slowly approached the bars. "Sage Solon..." he said softly, his voice heavy with complex emotions.

"You know what desertion means for an Executive Commander, don't you?" Sage Solon's tone was low and severe, his disappointment unmistakable. "You have let me down. You were one of the most outstanding among the younger generation, and I entrusted the command to you out of trust."

"Yes, Sage," Neven replied weakly, gripping the bars.

Aria's gaze was drawn to the Soul Stone on Sage Solon's hand, not daring to meet his eyes, while the usually sharp-tongued Alexander remained silent.