Chapter 5

1:35am

Kai's shoulders relaxed slightly at the sight of Louie. His body still raged with worry, but having him physically in front of him made it easier. Kai's eyes analyzed the situation. He walked calmly, but with purpose over to Louie. This made the energy surrounding Louie less frantic. He knelt down in front of Louie, delicately grabbed his face and wiped away his tears and snotty nose.
Louie's puffy eyes didn't leave Kai's gaze. Kai patted Louie's head, fixing any misplaced hairs, then gripped both Louie's arms and brought him to his feet.

No audible words were said between the two. It was quiet but so much was being said with every caring embrace and gaze.

Kai guided Louie out of the closet, practically carrying him to ensure he didn't get hurt by the broken glass. Being outside of the darkroom brought on a different set of emotions for Louie. He was too overwhelmed and embarrassed. While Kai packed Louie's stuff, he turned to the wall to rest his heavy head.

Louie ran his hands up the wall to his chest level and tensed his fingers. His hands turned to fists as he cocked his head back for another blow to the wall. Kai placed his hand over Louie's eyes before he was able to do any damage. He fell into Kai's chest. His muscles trembled against gravity's pull, he finally gave in. Kai embraced Louie in the dark silence. Louie's walls crumbled around him as he quietly wept into Kai's chest.

    "Let's go home, Louie."

With one arm, Kai picked up Louie and supported him in a bear hug, while the other carried Louie's backpack. With every step Louie's grip around Kai became tighter. He laid his head on Kai's shoulder, his nose brushing against his neck and filled with the calming scent of his cologne.

Kai planned to take Louie back to his own apartment, a familiar space, but it began to rain. With Kai's apartment much closer to campus, he thought it best to take Louie there to rest.

1:58am

Sammy and Carter were out eating with Kai when he got the call from Louie. Without any explanation, Kai went running, but Samy and Carter couldn't keep up. They took cover under the Communications building from the rain and in the distance, Sammy spotted Kai. She was about to call out for him but upon closer inspection noticed he was carrying someone.
Carter looked at her and smirked. Sammy raised her eyebrows in shock but quickly followed with a smile at the sight of her friend being so romantic. She smacked Carter on the arm in betrayal.

    "It's not mine to tell."

Sammy scoffed playfully and walked the opposite way. Carter chased after her.

    "I thought you knew Sam, it's kinda obvious."

2:12am

** sound of shower water starting**

Kai caringly led Louie into the bathroom. Louie's emotions had caused him to be in a frozen state, not moving unless physically directed. The only thing his mind stayed clear on was Kai. Kai turned the shower on and examined Louie's wet clothes, he grew angry within himself that he let Louie get soaked from the rain. He placed a towel on the counter, brushed the hair out of Louie's eyes, and turned to leave. Louie gripped the edge of Kai's shirt to stop him. He looked up at Kai, tears forming in his puffy round eyes. Kai gently removed Louie's small hand and spoke reassuringly.

    "Let me grab another towel, okay?"

Louie's eyes followed Kai's every move. His body ever so slightly mimicked Kai's direction to keep him at the center of his attention. Kai wiped away Louie's tears and gazed at him with compassion. He wanted to smirk at Louie's cute puffy face, but now was not the time.