CHAPTER 22

A/N: This chapter includes scenes that tie back to Series 1, so keep an eye out for those connections!

౨ৎ

Bawat kwentuhan namin ni Rosie ay halong tawanan at seryosong usapan, parang timpla ng saya at bigat ng mga katotohanan. Halatang nagulat s'ya nang malaman niyang kilala ko sina Lianna, Gabi, at pati na rin si Benjamin-hindi lang basta kilala, kundi malapit pa. Hindi maikakaila ang pagkabigla sa kanyang mga mata.

As we unraveled the reasons behind the facade that Benjamin and I had been keeping up, I could see the confusion and anger simmering within her. She had believed that Benjamin was simply using us, and it took a while for her to fully grasp the complexity of the situation. But once she did, once the reality of it all settled in, the conversation took a more somber turn. We discussed, with genuine concern, how she might approach and face her family after everything.

We didn't immediately disclose our plan to her-the one Lianna and I had devised to keep her from returning right away. We thought it best to keep that part hidden for now, and looking at how things turned out, it might have been the right call. After all, my best friend found love there.

"Grabe ka naman, Rosie. Nawala ka lang ng ilang buwan, may jowa ka na agad," I teased her with a playful grin as we lounged in my room. I'd asked her to stay here for a while since we weren't heading to their place until later tonight. It was safer that way, considering how many eyes were on us.

Rosie let out a small laugh. "Sino bang hindi mafa-fall sa kanya? Gwapo, mabait—'tsaka..." She bit her lower lip, a familiar spark in her eyes. I pursed my lips, waiting for her to continue, my curiosity piqued. But she just shook her head.

"And... what else?" I pressed, my brow furrowing slightly.

She shook her head again, this time more firmly. "Nothing. What about you? Still no one in your talking stage?" she countered, shifting the focus back to me.

Her question hit me harder than I expected, and I swallowed the lump in my throat, trying to keep my secret-my growing obsession with her brother, Moon-buried deep. 

"Focus lang sa goal," I replied with a laugh, trying to mask the deeper meaning behind my words. Because I was indeed focused-focused on keeping Moon close, on making sure he would be mine and only mine.

Rosie gave me a knowing look, one eyebrow slightly raised. "Goals, huh? That's all you're focused on?" she asked, her voice light but tinged with curiosity. She had a way of seeing through me, but I wasn't ready to let her in on the truth, not yet.

I forced another smile, trying to brush off her probing. "Yep, just goals. Alam mo naman 'yon," I said, but my voice sounded strained even to my own ears.

Tumango si Rosie, tila ba sang-ayon sa sinabi ko, pero bakas sa mukha niya ang lungkot. "Kamusta ang pag-aaral?" bigla niyang tanong, at ramdam ko sa boses niya ang bigat ng damdamin. Alam kong gustung-gusto niyang makatapos, pero dahil sa mga nangyari, kinakailangan n'yang bumalik sa umpisa.

I forced a smile, trying to keep the mood light. "It's okay. Finals are coming up—I'm pretty busy with school and juggling our plans with Benjamin," I replied, attempting to make our conversation sound as casual as possible.

Tumango naman si Rosie, pero naramdaman ko ang bigat ng hinanakit niya. "Mukhang maiiwan ako sa batch natin," aniya, pilit pinatatatag ang boses, pero ramdam ko ang panghihinayang na hindi niya kayang itago.

Huminga ako nang malalim, nag-iisip ng tamang salita para pagaanin ang loob niya. "Ano ka ba, ayos lang 'yon. Ang mahalaga, makatapos ka. Hindi naman karera ang buhay at pag-aaral... pundasyon lang 'yan para sa mga laban natin sa hinaharap. So what if you're a little behind? Some people don't even finish school and still end up successful," I said, trying to encourage her, to lift her spirits so she wouldn't sink into despair.