Chapter 9

~𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐫𝐥𝐨𝐭𝐭𝐞~

I stare blankly down at the black coffee given to me by a kind woman officer at the front desk. If only she were the one speaking with me about Eli.

The steam rises off of the mug in waves, causing me to break a small sweat. Or maybe it's simply due to my nerves catching up with me.

The thing is, I don't know what's going to happen if I can't get Eli out of here today. I may be reprimanded by the higher ups, reassigned to a different case, or worse, demoted. That would mean never helping someone like Eli again.

Over the years, I've assisted many people with getting their lives on track, I've never failed so miserably at this before. Not in over 600 years of service. It's all his fault. Eli wouldn't even be in this mess if it weren't for Vance.

A wheezing cough from who I now know as officer Jones, seated at the desk across from me pulls me out of my silent brooding.

"So, you're telling me, even with all of the bruises on Eli, that he wasn't involved in the fight," The officer eyes me suspiciously over his coffee mug. My eyes are drawn to the crumbs still stuck in his ginger caterpillar mustache from his lunch an hour ago.

"He wasn't involved at all, officer. You see, Eli is an extremely brilliant college student, on track to getting a doctorate in veterinary medicine," I explain insistently.

For some reason, something I have said piques his interest.

"That kid? That goofy kid is going to be a veterinarian?" He snorts, clearly finding this amusing.

As hard as it was to admit, I can see why he would question this. On the surface, Eli presents himself as more like a class clown than a Dr. Doo Little. But knowing the things I know about Eli from reading his file, I see his potential.

"He's insanely intelligent and entirely innocent, please just let him go," I practically plead with Officer Jones.

"Who are you, anyways, his lawyer?" The cop questions me, his suspicion growing into curiosity.

"Not his lawyer, just a witness and a caring friend," I respond forcing the most innocent smile I can manage. Kissing up to this man is making me want to puke.

"Is Eli friends with the man by the name of Vance Archer? We took him into custody and he's somehow managed to escape," He interrogates, still trying to prove Eli's involvement.

"They're not friends," I counter, the last word leaving my mouth as a sneer. A true friend would never do what Vance has done to Eli.

"I'll make a deal with you. I'll let your friend Eli off with a warning if you give me your word that the next time you see or hear from Vance, you will tell me immediately," He bargains, leaning over the table so close I can smell the coffee on his breath.

"You have a deal. I will give you a call if I see Vance again," I concur, scooting my chair back a few inches. I'm not entirely sure if or when I'm going to actually oblige his request.

As I wait for Eli to make his way into the lobby, a commotion coming from one of the interrogation rooms catches my attention.

"I'm telling you, I saw the guy levitate into the air at that party! The freaky goth guy used his telekinesis or whatever to throw him against the wall!" A frat guy whom I recognize the party rambles hysterically.

"I think you've had a long night of drinking and partying. You're still very wired and need to go home and rest," The kind officer who'd given me coffee earlier tries to appease his incredulity. She has no such luck.