New traces

I was fast asleep when Sebastian's screams suddenly woke me up.

I jumped up and headed towards his room, which was across from mine.

"Sebastian?" I slowly opened the door and saw him sitting on the bed with his head in his hands.

I went in and walked over to him.

"I'm sorry I woke you up." He said and I noticed a light sheen of sweat beading his forehead.

"Don't worry." I sat down on the bed, next to him. "That nightmare again?"

Sebastian had started having a recurring nightmare since that fateful night in the catacomb and it wasn't the first time he had screamed in his sleep; fortunately, it had always happened while Sirona was still at work and he had begged me not to tell anyone.

He shook his head. "This time was different."

He sighed and I could see that he was really upset.

"Do you want to talk about it?" I ventured, looking at him.

"I was in the catacomb again, but this time it was you and the Inferi were starting to surround you," his voice was agitated. "And there were so many of them...they were popping out from everywhere and I couldn't control them and finally..."

Sebastian's face darkened. "Finally they killed you, Jane, and I couldn't do anything and-"

"Sebastian, calm down." I tried to reassure him and put a hand on his shoulder. "I'm fine, I'm here, see?"

He smiled weakly at me, then stood up.

"It was horrible." His voice was barely above a whisper.

I stood up and walked over to him, seeing that he was trying so hard to hold back tears.

"And I miss Anne." His broken voice made my heart sunk and I did the only thing that made sense to me at that moment.

I hugged him and he pulled me close, burying his face in my shoulder.

"I don't want to lose you too."

"Seb, you won't lose me." I patted him reassuringly on the back. "You know I'm not going anywhere."

I managed to make him laugh and slowly, he released the hug, the sadness and darkness giving way to a semblance of comfort, which eased the lines of his face.

"I think...I really needed this." He said, with a slightly embarrassed half smile, while I realized in that moment that despite everything we had been through, that was the first time we had ever hugged.

"No-no worries." I said, then I recovered from my thoughts. "That's what friends are for, right?"

Sebastian just smiled and I, now that I was sure he was okay, turned around, ready to go back to my room.

"Jane?"

"What?" I stopped and turned back.

"I know it sounds pathetic but..." Sebastian looked away. "Could you stay? Just for a little while..."

His question caught me off guard.

"Um...yeah, sure."

Sebastian went back to his bed and I sat down next to him.

"Your hair is all messy by the way." He gave a small laugh.

"Look who's talking." I feigned offense and he laughed.

The faint moonlight streamed in through the window and lit up the dark room, illuminating the stack of books Sebastian kept on his bedside table.

"You should try to sleep now." I said softly.