(x)

Saanjh

The ride back home was barely 30 minutes but Dhruv seemed like a sloth riding a motorcycle. I knew he was desperate to spend more time with me and wanted to make sure we didn't end up knocked somewhere in the midst of Mumbai traffic.

I handed him the helmet. "Thank you. Good night"

"Have some food. You barely ate anything, "he said. Seeing him in casuals, riding a motorcycle and being so sober made me feel like we were teens. How was Dhruv in his teens? Hotheaded and egoistic?

"You can't stop staring, can you?" He chuckled.

I flushed. "You didn't eat much either. Would you like to come in?"

He was biting his lower lip. "So that I can fill up my appetite.."

My hands rolled into a fist as rage fumed through me. I was wrong in being soft with him. He deserved sheer apathy from me and we were nothing but partners for mutual convenience and empathy had no room here.

"I am just kidding" He said, feigning innocence. "Can I not flirt with my fianceé?"

"No"I said. My eyes narrowed in an attempt to scare him off

I felt a vibration in my bag. It was almost midnight and I always called my parents post my dinner. So it was undoubtedly my hypertensive mother.

"It's Maa" I looked at Dhruv. His eyes softened. "Tell them about what we planned"

I clicked on the green button."Hi Maa. Had dinner? What is Papa doing?"

"Saanjh beta. Are you okay? We thought you were-

Dhruv tapped on the mute button. "Have you ever tried to harm yourself?"

"For God sake, no" I lied.

I wasn't suicidal. But I didn't love my soul and body either that I wanted to wake up everyday with zeal. On some nights, I go back to sleep praying that the I can't get to see the morning sun"

I unmuted the call. "Maa, Papa I have news for you. Please don't be angry."

"What did you do?" His concerned voice is also tinted with inquisitiveness.

"A guy proposed to me. And I said yes" I blurted. Dhruv clicked his tongue in derison like I had no idea how to break a news.

"What? Saanjh you didn't tell us you were seeing someone.. Now you are planning to marry. It has been a month only since you moved out-

Dhruv took the phone from my hand. "Namaste Aunty. Dhruv Malhotra here. Sanjh's boyfriend or fiance."

I heard Papa saying. "What are you doing at her place so late?"

"Actually we were out with some common friends to celebrate our engagement. I came here to drop her"

I rolled her eyes too hard that I might have seen my brain if I tried.

Dhruv Malhotra, the bestselling author.

"Friends. Engagement. Saanjh we thought you were just struggling to settle in the city" My father said. "You told me you were struggling to find some good projects.."

"Actually uncle, she wasn't lying. It all happened so fast. I approached her. For me she was love at first sight.." He stared at me, charcoals melting into something so tender that it was actually readable.

"Actually I am a painter and I made the portrait of a woman who resembles her even before meeting her. I knew her even before I met her. And when I saw her a month ago, she became my whole existence. Saanjh Kapoor was all I needed to breathe, all I needed to exist.."

His eyes gleaming with a hint of something. Maybe tears. I didn't know how it made my parents feel but it stirred something in me that I didn't like. I kept the mask of indifference and rolled my eyes again.

"We met a few times and went on two dates only. Raj is our common friend. So with his help, I decided to propose her for marriage.."

"But Beta, you guys are young and you don't even have a secured future" Papa said.

"Uncle. 50% of the shares of the Malhotras Royal Estate Pvt Ltd is under my name. Your daughter will be provided and taken care of.."

Yeah. He was doing me a favour.

Silence hanged in the air for a couple of second. Another text from Raj barged in but I clicked the notification away. Dhruv glared at me with not so satisfied smile.

"If you guys are sure. We are very much happy for you." Maa said.

"We need your blessings Aunty uncle" He said. "We would be visiting you soon.."

"Saanjh you are happy, right?" Maa said. "I am so so happy for you. God has finally listened to my prayers and you are getting out of the clutches of your past."

"Yeah" I muttered with a sigh, closing my eyes. My fear of crying infront of Dhruv couldn't come true. Not so soon.

"See you soon. Good night" I said.

"Saa- I cut him off.

"Thank you for your favour but please don't think you can rub off these favours on my face when I am vulnerable." I said and proceeded to leave. "Good night."

He stood alone as I took the stairs. Knowing all well a bodyguard would be waiting outside my door at night.

Things are starting to get interesting, aren't they?

Please share this story with your friends and circle.

Hit the vote button.