Chapter 9

"Someone save me!"

"Somebody please help!"

"I don't want to die!"

"Help!"

Maxine called out desperately. She stood in the middle of the raging fire, looking frantically left and right with no way out.

Maxine screamed at the top of her lungs for help when she suddenly heard someone laughing. She turned to see Roxanne, Ethan, and Natalia laughing at her.

"In this life too, you will be our slave, Maxine. This is your destiny! Now, die!" Roxanne roared as they all cackled at her helplessness.

"No!!" Maxine shouted as she jolted awake. Her whole body was trembling, drenched in sweat.

She looked around, realizing there was No fire, No Roxanne.

It was all over, just a nightmare, just a nightmare.

Maxine took deep breaths to calm herself. Clenching her fists, she vowed, "This time, I am going to change my destiny. Roxanne, Ethan, and Natalia I will not let you toy with me again."

Determined, Maxine got out of bed and headed to the bathroom to take a shower.

After her shower, she dressed in a blue top and white jeans. She applied a baby pink lip gloss and styled her hair in a half-up, half-down look.

She put on her sneakers, grabbed her purse, and hailed a cab, heading toward Marvellous Universe.

Upon arrival, Maxine stood in front of the towering company building.

This is it.

Maxine entered the building and approached the receptionist. "Umm, Excuse me? Where is Miss Rachel Yang's office?"

The receptionist, a cute woman with large round spectacles, looked up at her and asked, "Are you Miss Maxine?"

Maxine nodded, and the receptionist called over another lady, instructing her to guide Maxine. She followed the lady to the elevator and soon arrived at Rachel Yang's office.

After the lady left, Maxine knocked on the door.

"Come in," a crisp voice called.

Maxine entered the office with a smile. "Good morning, Sister Rachel..."

Rachel Yang looked up from her papers and nodded, taking in Maxine's appearance. It was clean, beautiful, and pure.

Smiling, she got up from her seat.

"Maxine, thank you so much. If it weren't for your help, I don't know what I would have done." Rachel Yang held Maxine's hand gratefully, recalling the relieved expressions of her parents.

"Sister Rachel, it was nothing," Maxine smiled.

"Oh, come, I'll take you to meet our Boss," Rachel Yang said as she led Maxine toward the CEO's office.

Maxine quietly followed, observing the respectful greetings people gave to Rachel Yang and the curious glances they shot at her.

When they reached the office, Rachel Yang knocked on the door, and a manly voice responded, "Come in."

Maxine entered the office, carefully observing the man in front of her. Vladimir Sokolov the boss of the Marvellous Universe Company was a handsome young man with a cheerful smile on his face.

"Boss, this is Miss Maxine, who is going to be my new artist," Rachel Yang smiled as she introduced her.

Vladimir looked at Maxine in surprise.

"Oh, it's you," Then he laughed, "And here I was wondering who caught Rachel Yang's eye."

Confused, Maxine looked at the man before her. She knew very little about him from her previous life.

"Do you know me?" Maxine asked.

Vladimir nodded. "Yes! No. No! I mean, you’re very beautiful, so it’s no surprise Rachel Yang noticed you."

Maxine nodded in understanding, but she still felt something was off.

"If Miss Maxine doesn’t mind, can I ask you one question?"

"Of course," Maxine said politely.

"Why did you choose to work with my company? I mean, why not choose 'Motion Stars'?" Vladimir asked.

"You will be opposing your sister if you work here." Vladimir said.

Maxine figured Rachel Yang must have informed him about her, so she didn’t think much of it, while Rachel Yang looked at her boss in admiration.

That’s my Boss, already knowing about my artist before I even introduced her.

Maxine replied, "I don’t mind opposing my sister. Besides, your company is greater than 'Motion Stars.' They already have Roxanne, so they don’t need me. Or is Boss Vladimir afraid?"

Vladimir shook his head and laughed. This woman knows how to challenge someone.

"Then it would be great working with you," he smiled as he took out some papers and placed them on the table. "Let’s sign the contract."

Maxine tightened her grip on the pen, holding back the tears that threatened to fall.

This is my first step toward my dreams.

Taking a deep breath, Maxine signed the contract. She shook hands with Vladimir Sokolov. "It would be nice working with you."

As soon as the contract was signed, Maxine and Rachel Yang left the office. Watching them leave, Vladimir grinned and decided to call someone. Thinking about the person, he laughed.

"Hello..." A domineering voice answered on the other end.

"Zach buddy, guess who I met today?" Vladimir grinned from ear to ear.

"Five seconds..." Zachary replied.

Huh? Five seconds?

"What five seconds are you talking about, Zachy?" Vladimir asked, confused.

"Three seconds..."

Then it clicked in Vladimir's mind. This guy, if I don’t say it in the next three seconds, he’ll hang up.

Vladimir felt like crying. Is this how you treat your best friend, Zachary?

"OK, fine! I met Maxine."

-------

Enjoy<33