25 • Karma's Reverberation

Do inline comments if possible

Do inline comments if possible ... ❣️

>>

- 3 months later -

Laxmi Nagar

The modest room was bathed in soft sunlight that filtered through the gauzy curtains, casting a warm glow over the rows of colourful fabrics and spools of thread. The air was filled with the steady hum of a sewing machine and the occasional rustle of fabric, creating a serene yet focused atmosphere.

Payal sat at her sewing machine, her hands moving deftly, her brow furrowed in concentration as she carefully stitched blouses for her neighbours, who were her regular customers. This small corner of Gupta Sadan had been transformed into a humble tailoring shop, complete with a second-hand sewing machine purchased from their meagre savings.

In the veranda, Veemla, a middle-aged woman with a sharp tongue and a no-nonsense attitude, examined the blouses with a critical eye. One blouse had an additional inner lining (astar) and intricate dori (cord) work, while the other was simpler, lacking the extra detailing. Both were spread out on the counter, and her frown deepened as she looked at them.

Garima, standing nearby, was carefully calculating the money owed. She frowned as she realised they were 50 rupees short. Her voice was firm but polite as she addressed Veemla, "Veemla, tumne paise kam diye hain..."

{ Veemla, you've paid less... }

Veemla's brows furrowed with a mix of confusion and irritation. "Arre, Garima, tumne toh Kanta se itne hi liye the na? Aur upar se astar bhi maine hi diya..."

{ Oh, Garima, didn't you take this much from Kanta as well? And besides, I provided the lining ( astar )... }

Garima maintained her calm, though there was a slight edge to her tone. "Haan, par Kanta ne simple blouse banvaya tha, aur tumne to dori aur astar wale blouse banvaya hain. Isme jyada mehnat lagi hain..."

{ Yes, but Kanta ordered a simple blouse, and you've asked for one with cord work and lining. It took more effort... }

Veemla huffed, her frustration clearly showing. She glanced at the blouses again, her eyes narrowing as she examined the detailed embroidery and fine stitching. "Maine socha tha ki astar dene se tumhara kaam aasan ho jayega. Iske liye to jyada paise dene ki zaroorat nahi thi."

{ I thought that by providing the lining, your work would be easier. There shouldn't be a need to pay extra for this ! }

Garima took a deep breath, trying to maintain her composure, though the strain was evident in her eyes. "Dekho Veemla, aajkal ka rate to itna hi hain. Tumhe bhi pata hai ki sab kuch mahanga ho gaya hai aur ab toh Payalia bhi..." Her voice trailed off, and for a moment, a flicker of pain crossed her face.